Author Topic: New find  (Read 4502 times)

D. Bowman

New find
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
bought at local auction(South Central Pennsylvania) Full stock curly maple,36 inch 7/8th straight barrel 36 cal. I thought the forged tang sight was cool. the 3/16th thick sight has a dove tailed center section to slide the aperture for windage. The rifle has a unique side plate and i was hoping that might be a clue to region or builder.
Any thoughts???
http://s964.photobucket.com/user/dbowman62/slideshow/percussion%20rifle

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: New find
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
Nice find! Thank you for showing it around, here. There will be a lot of appreciative people. My sumise is that it is a W. PA, Ohio, or WVA made gun. It has traits that would fit any of these state regional schools. And, that seems to take in a lot of territory, but it is a faily tight circle of an area where rifles of this kind were made. This was probably made rather late in the century, as well.
I take it that there is no name on the barrel? Looks like a great little untouched full stocked target gun and one to like a lot. Thanks again.
Dick

D. Bowman

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:25 AM »
There is a name stamped on the bottom flat near the breech. Barrel makers name i assume. but it is unreadable(---mes---own) is what i can read. With some carefull cleaning maybe more will appear.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:17:49 AM by D. Bowman »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
maybe it's a place ie. ___mes town
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
My sumise is that it is a W. PA, Ohio, or WVA made gun.
Or maybe southwest VA. Didn't some of the Honaker's use similar cheekrests and trigger guards?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

D. Bowman

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
Stamping on bottom flat of barrel reads

JAMES BOWN
       PITTSBURG ??                      
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:31:15 PM by D. Bowman »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »
Sure sounds like P'burg to me. Bown, and Bown & Tetley were suppliers there and seem to have made some guns also. Love the sights on this gun! Dick

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 03:41:02 AM »
My sumise is that it is a W. PA, Ohio, or WVA made gun.
Or maybe southwest VA. Didn't some of the Honaker's use similar cheekrests and trigger guards?
Dennis

In later years these TGs were popular as far away as Georgia and California so I don't see how they can be used to locate a rifle. The cheekrest is usable though I would think.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:54 AM »
Very nice old rifle and a great find. Thanks for the photos.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine