Author Topic: ??s about the Davis Late English  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Habu

??s about the Davis Late English
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:10 AM »
I should have a Davis Late English lock heading my way in a couple weeks, and had a question.  

How are they holding up after a few thousand rounds?

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:58:06 AM by Habu »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: ??s about the Davis Late English
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:16 AM »
I've used a couple over the years, and have one in my inventory box for future consideration.  I replaced a broken frizzen on one, with great advice from Tim at RE DAvis on hardening and tempering.  It's been shooting strong for about ten years.  the other, the first one I installed is more like 25 years old, and as far as I know, is also still in good shape.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:42 AM »
Thanks Taylor.  That helps--I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect for possibly-needed spare parts beyond the usual spare mainspring and frizzen. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 05:39:11 AM »
Habu, don't forget the fly. It's one if not the one part that you will lose because of it size. Considering cost, every one should have a spare fly and mainspring for their locks IMHO.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:06:56 AM »
A while back, I built a fowling gun for a person who mainly uses it for reenactments, firing blanks; however does hunt a bit with it.   The gun came back to me for "repair" after a couple of years, due to trouble with the lock. Long story short...the cleaning /maintenance of the lock left a lot to be desired. The barrel was cleaned well, which was a relief.  I clean up the lock and in the process found that the fly was not moving freely ...stuck in gunk .   When I reassembled the lock, I left the fly out.  Gun worked fine, and, it's never come back since then.   Unless you are using set triggers, is there a reason to be concerned about the fly ?  I removed it from my personal 10 bore , and haven't missed it. I hunt bears with this gun and don't want to chance a lock disfunction due to a sticky fly.   Am I  correct or am I missing something ? 

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »
Flies are great things, if you are using set triggers: they let the tip of the sear float over the half-cock notch.  A single trigger does about the same thing by holding the sear arm up and preventing the sear tip from engaging while the tumbler rotates. 

In theory (and occasionally in practice), when using a single trigger, the sear can catch in the tumbler.  But muskets, shotguns, and many if not most early rifles, didn't have a fly in the tumbler, and they worked just fine. 

In my case, I hadn't even considered the fly.  My trigger guard won't let me use a double trigger, and since I won't have time to build a good single-set trigger, I'm just going to use a single trigger on this build.  If I lose the fly, I can replace it after deer season.   

But as Smylee pointed out, it is an easily lost part, and one most folks want to replace immediately if lost.  My spare parts kit for my usual locks must have a half-dozen flies, just-in-case, and I'll probably order a spare for the Davis lock the next time I order parts. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
I noticed that top quality locks as used on English target RIFLES have a fly
and the same quality lock used on a shotgun has no fly.

Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
I noticed that top quality locks as used on English target RIFLES have a fly
and the same quality lock used on a shotgun has no fly.
Bob,
On a target rifle, the trigger usually has a light pull.  In use, it is gently squeezed until it breaks at the point of aim.  It is possible for interference at this point to cause the sear to hit the half cock notch.....hence the fly.

On a fowling piece, which is pointed rather than aimed, the trigger is pulled rather than squeezed and in doing so is held back out of the way.  On many double guns, one will often find a fly in the right lock and none in the left lock.  It's purpose here is because of the possibility of a fast follow up shot where where one pulls the front trigger and immediately slips back to the rear trigger for the follow up.  One can only imagine the milliseconds that occur between those two functions.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
My Chambers' Pennsylvania fowler has a fly in the lock, and that's a good thing.  I shoot it mostly with patched ball, consequently, like a rifle, and the fly is a must.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
The only "trouble" I've had with a lock not functioning properly was with a small Siler flint on a pistol with one trigger.  The fly was causing a slight hesitation when the cock fell.  This resulted in a light strike on the frizzen.  A friend removed the fly and the lock performed perfectly after that.  All my dbl triggers have a fly and work great.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.