Author Topic: presentation target rifle  (Read 3578 times)

Offline albert

presentation target rifle
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:33:07 AM »
I just received a rifle that I bought,it is unmarked on the bbl. , except for Remington. about .36 cal. , Gain twist ,shiny new bore 7 groove. C.Baker back action lock with fly.iron mounted,case hardened,and fully engraved,walnut stock.It was presented to a man by the name of George W.Halcott by John Edwards,John H France,Hiram Bogardus,Philip V Van'Orden,Jacob Van'Orden,and George Peck, the workmanship is fine .so far I haven't found any info on any of these people.any information would be appreciated
j albert miles

Offline T*O*F

Re: presentation target rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nygreen2/greenville_center_cemetery.htm

Bogardus listed in register and also in footnote at bottom of page.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:45:57 AM »
A long time ago I collected Parker shotguns (sadly they are all gone now) but, the name Bogardus was I believe a big one with the Parker guys. If it's the same guy he was some kind of champion trap shooter in the late 1800s. If it's the same guy they will have lots of information.  They have a really outstanding web site. Jack
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:47:41 AM by GrampaJack »

Offline albert

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:40 AM »
  one other thing I noticed about this rifle is that the bolster is threaded into the barrel,at first I thought it was brazed and was separating,but further notice after I pulled the breechplug I could see how it was assembled,only one that I ever saw. also thanks for the information so far.
j albert miles

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:12 AM »
If it's the same guy he was some kind of champion trap shooter in the late 1800s.
He not the same one.  The one you are thinking of was an exhibition shooter and they shot glass balls.  There was a movie about them.  The star's name escapes my memory for the moment, but he was a mountain man and shot against them with a Hawken rifle..

http://www.targetballs.com/storyVault_3.php
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline albert

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »
About George Washington Halcott
George Washington Halcott is a member of the Halcott Family.

Author Notes
On the death of his father, when George was but 14, he went with his mother to live with his older sister Mary (Polly), the childless wife of Julius Austin, in Austin's Glen. He became the first engineer of the early steamboat "Frank" (1837-38) and set up housekeeping in the house now 222 Main Street. Later in kept store in Lexington, living at the far end of the bridge, until he was made Sheriff of Greene County, 1850 to 1853. He was always deeply grateful that he did not have to hang a man, a lot that fell to both his predecessor and his successor in the office. During this period his wife died and he remarried, his second wife being a most loving mother to his orphaned children. The family occupied in succession several rented homes on West Bridge Street, Upper Main and Broad Streets, until he purchased and rebuilt the homestead on Bridge Street and Prospect Avenue (then Orange Street) in 1862. He established a book storeat 353 Main Street, later conducted by his son Marcus in Catskill, NY. George W. Halcott was a Mason, an Odd Fellow, a staunch Republican and Episcopalian, a vestry man for man years in St. Luke's Church, Catskill. When the new town of Halcott was set off in 1851, during his sheriffship, it was named for him (erroneously given as son of Thomas in Greene and Delaware County histories). From 1868 to his death he was an Internal Revenue Collector for Greene County.

COMPLIMENTARY GIFT

"On the retirement of George W. Halcott, late Sheriff of this County, from the office of Sheriff, a few of his political and personal
friends , of this village, presented him with a valuable Rifle, as a Testimonial of esteem. She he again take up his residence in "Old Lexington," the Democratic Gibraltar, it is hoped that he will use it to some purpose in thinning out the ranks of the enemy. Success to that "Rifle." Greene County Whig, June 11, 1853 (Published by Marcus H. Trowbridge and Ward D. Gunn)

don't know if this is the same person,but is interesting
found more...Jacob Van Orden was town clerk,also found names of Edwards,France and Peck.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:21:08 AM by albert »
j albert miles

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
Albert,  Sounds like you are onto something there.  You wonder why rifles like that end up out of their family's possession.  No children, rift, financial?  Anyway, you have a piece of history that you can likely piece together with
more research.  Good luck in your search.  I would sure like to see a photo of your prize.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.