Author Topic: Metal Degreaser?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Metal Degreaser?
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:58:26 AM »
What do you guys use to degrease?    I am looking for an commonly available alternative to denatured alcohol.     I have been using denatured alcohol for cleaning and degreasing since I ran out of TCE a long time ago.   TCE was great stuff but I don't think it is available any more; something about it being toxic/carcinogenic etc...   Why is it that all the great degreasers are toxic? ;)  Are products like Purple Power or Greased Lightning any good for gun work?   

westbj2

Re: Metal Degreaser?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:04:48 AM »
Mark Lee (The rust bluing solution guy) says Simple Green is the best de-greaser he has found.  Readily available and cheap.
Jim

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:11:27 AM »
It kinda depends on what you are de-greasing.  I use a fair amount of brake cleaner for cleaning guns, for instance.  When finishing metal  (bluing, browning, etc), I generally scrub the surfaces with Dawn dishsoap. 

I've used Castrol's Purple Power as an absolute last resort to get grease/oil stains off wood before finishing.  You wind up with a lighter "stain" (an "un-stain?") but that is easier to touch up than an oily handprint across the carving. 

eddillon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »
I use blue Dawn dish detergent.  It has never failed me.  Available at your local grocery store.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »
I have a big bottle of dawn dish detergent in the shop, but it never crossed my mind to use it to degrease a barrel or mounts.   I will have to try that next time.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:23:04 AM »
  Finger nail polish remover, with lots of Acetone, Salon Plus makes one 100 % acetone.BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND ANY SPARKS/HEAT.I set one project on fire with a Battery Powered electric drill,,sparks inside from the brushes>>>>>

Ric27

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:29:07 AM »
Dawn works good and if you can find it Lemon Joy is great but the last time I looked at the local super mkt there was no joy dish soap at all on the shelf. Good to know that Simple Green works so well because the Dollar Store has that for $3 for a half gallon. If you really want to get down with the grease cutting Acetone will do the job but I don't think it is necessary in most cases.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:30:42 AM by Ric27 »

rhbrink

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:40:48 AM »
Baking Soda

galamb

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:05:56 AM »
Acetone.

Figure just about every woman out there uses 100 gallons removing nail polish over a life time - rubbing it right into their fingers - can't be that "toxic".

Also removes pine tar real good when you get covered sitting in the tree stand during deer season  ;D

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »
Remove pine pitch with butter. Didn't your grandma teach you that? Even got it out of my tomboy sister's hair.

I like Simple Green for degreasing metal parts. I use Dawn for washing the car and RV. And thanks for the tip on the Dollar Store for SG!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline kutter

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22:23 AM »
Most any liquid laundry detergent or dish washing liquid soap that's handy.  No particular brand.

That used with hot water and some sort of scrub brush (tooth brush, paint brush, scrub brush,ect) will clean grease,dirt,oil ect from metal surfaces easily.
The same soap,hot water & scrub down cleans dishes up after use so clean you'd eat off of them.

I scrub down most every disassembled cartridge gun before I begin work on them and do that right in the laundry tub with the soap,hot water and brushes.
They come out clean as can be,,,I use the same process for cleaning before rust bluing.
Rinse with the same hot water and scrub while rinsing to get any soap off. Handle w/clean paper towels from a roll placed near by and handy if they're going to the blue or brown process next.  
Parts get hot and that helps dry them quickly. That and a few shakes while wrapped up in the paper towel helps.

I've grown to dislike chemical solvents over the years for cleaning jobs like this. But they're still handy for some things.

*Didn't know about the butter and pine tar removal trick. That's one I'll remember! I get that stuff all over my self every time I trim out the pine trees in back.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:28:49 AM by kutter »

Offline AMartin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 05:46:49 AM »
Fantastik Oven cleaner as Fred Miller & Don Getz have used for many years ..... I have also used Spray 9 with super results !!!
Simple Green works pretty good but the first 2 I mention ..... good stuff !!

Al

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:48:01 AM by AMartin »

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
Spray can of carb cleaner.  Works great and always need to have it on hand for small engines with the nasty fuel we've got nowadays.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline gusd

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
Prep -All or similar products from an auto paint store.
Used in auto body work for wax and grease removal before painting.
Ask for wax-grease & silicon remover.
Gus

Archie Otto

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
Carb cleaner spray or starting fluid spray.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
I have always used 'COMET' powdered cleanser with water in the laundry sink, with a combination of applicators, depending upon the finish on the steel.  I use a green ScotchBrite pad, a fingernail brush, a piece of towel, and a toothbrush.  When the grease is gone, water wets the entire surface with no puddles left 'unwet'.  I've had such good results with it, I've never tried anything else.  I'm very cautious around acetone...an aggressive carcinogen.  But I have a bottle of 'Green Works' by Clorox on the sink to wash my hands, and it removes shop grease really well, so I'll give it a try on the next brown job.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 07:13:28 PM »
I use homer Danglers formula when I'm browning, I wet a piece of green ScotchBrite with it, scrub my parts, dry with a paper towel use the same towel to apply a thin first coat. No drips, no runs no errors.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Vomitus

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
....and nobody left on! ;D How about those Yankee's,lol!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
Dawn dish washing liquid is hard to beat. Brownell's has some that is made for gunwork which I have used but it does not work any better than Dawn.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »
Thanks guys,  I am going with the Dawn and a scrub brush as they are already sitting over my utility sink.   ;D

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 12:39:22 AM »
I like the stuff sold as brake parts cleaner.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 01:17:27 AM »
 "Gunk" a water-soluble engine degreaser.

Tim C. 

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 01:24:33 AM »
I tried the Dawn.    It works great; a lot better than the alcohol.   Also,   it cleaned all the gunk out of my utility sink.    I had soaked the sink before in bleach to try and get out the stains without much success.    They just fell as away with the Dawn and a scrub brush; and I still have my skin. :D

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 04:51:59 AM »
        Charcoal liter fluid works great to cut oil and grease off anything.     AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
 If the object is to brown then gasoline and simple green or comet under hot water will do a great job. LM Browning solution  is a very forgiving chemical. If the object is to fire blue that is a different story.  Do not let the tap water dry on the barrel when fire bluing. Mineral deposits will change the color of the blue.
  If there is wax on the barrel turpentine or mineral spirits works as well as anything there is.
 For gold plating I follow the above process with steam cleaning and electro cleaning in hot sodium hydroxide then acid dip in 10% hydrochloic acid and rince in distilled water.
    It all depends on your definition of clean. You can lie to your self but the chemicals can always tell.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:39:14 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.