Author Topic: Rifle On Julia Auction Site  (Read 19386 times)

Offline eastwind

Re: Rifle On Julia Auction Site
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »

Sorry--this is the so-called Mylin at the Lancaster Historical Society

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
Likely not a rifle and has a late flintlock with a waterproof pan.  The one pictured above is likely not a rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 01:12:05 AM »

Opinions ???

Patrick Hornberger

I think between your thoughts, my thoughts and pretty much EVERYONE'S thoughts, it's pretty clear that nobody is taking seriously the claims made relative to either piece!  I will be interested to see what the Julia rifle brings.  I suppose there are buyers out there who would simply take the auction house information at face value....
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline eastwind

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:54 AM »
Absolutely--The one at LHS is a fowler though they call it a rifle for the last 50 years.

To you Rich and to Eric:

My point in showing these is it seems a lot of guys have not seen both.

It will be interesting to see if the writers (we all know who they are) describe the one at Julia's continue to call it the "earliest dated", etc.

PaTH
Patrick Hornberger

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
It's a pet peeve of mine when they sometimes call a long gun a rifle automatically when often they are smoothbores.  Thanks for daring the pictures-now we know what the hoopla is all about!
Andover, Vermont

Offline eastwind

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Aside from the so-called Mylin rifle, I agree with Buck that the second Bonewitz shown on Julia's site is more likely a John Hagy (Hagey), Lancaster County rifle.

How much more did Dr. Sirkin have?---its looking like he had as many big name long rifles as Kindig did.

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline eastwind

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
Notice that Julia auctions has removed the reference to the Headley Mylin as the "earliest signed and dated Kentucky" on their website and replaced it with safer copy.

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »
I saw that also. Sure is taking a while to post the additional info, I got the notice this week about the 1st 2 lots but as luck would have it the Long rifles are in the 3rd lot. I had heard that Julias has employed a different *expert* this time to craft the descriptions, I wonder why  ???

Buck
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:51:09 AM by Buck »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 05:06:54 AM »
I spoke with a very well respected and advanced collector this evening, the point of our discussion was the upcoming auction. Another really bad batch of rifles, the general consensus was BUYER BEWARE! The Mylin rifle was also discussed and the details were not positive.

Buck

Bob Pearl

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »
Tony Clark is right.

this gun you ask about was part of an extensive discussion that occurred before from this forum of early rifles and now it seems all the archives are gone?  All erased... actually it was the most discussed thread this forum had ever had. True story.... gone now

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »
Tony Clark is right.

this gun you ask about was part of an extensive discussion that occurred before from this forum of early rifles and now it seems all the archives are gone?  All erased... actually it was the most discussed thread this forum had ever had. True story.... gone now

is that thread not in the archival remnants of the old board?  http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?board=2.0;sort=views;desc
Hold to the Wind