Author Topic: Don Brown? Alexander Henry  (Read 5005 times)

fcornell

Don Brown? Alexander Henry
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
Hi guys! My first time to post here. I'm looking for some information on a Alexander Henry rifle. Supposedly it was built from a Don Brown kit. It is marked "Ron Long". I was told Ron assembled the kit.  Fit & finish are OK however the wood is what I would consider poor quality appearing to be beach wood. The gun is unfired. The gentleman who owns the gun has offered it to me at a seemingly very reasonable price. If I end up with it I will definitely restock it. My major concern is that the barrel is a Ron Long. His barrels have a mixed reputation at best. Does anybody out there know for sure if Ron Long assembled and/or used his barrels on the Don Brown kits? 

Frank

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Don Brown? Alexander Henry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:45:31 AM »
Frank,
Welcome to the forum.  Where and how is the barrel marked?  Ron had a stamp that read LONG"S LOCKS on the top line and DENVER underneath it.  He stamped his locks, barrels and other items he manufactured.  I have an example from a pistol he made that I can post if you would like to see.

I am also puzzled by your statement that your major concern is that the barrel is a Ron Long and his barrels have a mixed reputation at best.  I find that hard to believe since he has won several national BPCR championships using his own barrels.  This is the first time I have ever heard anyone question the quality and accuracy of Ron Long's barrels.  From the people I know, anything he made is held in high esteem by its owner.
David

fcornell

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:29:07 AM »
Hi Dave! Thanks for the info! I'll see what how the gun is marked when I check it out again.

I guess I was kinda hard on Long. I had a rifle he built that shot well but had numerous mechanical issues. Also, I have a couple of buddies that have had mixed results with his barrels, (the ones that shot good shot really good and the ones that shot bad shot really bad)...................

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:16:13 AM »
I have 2 don brown rifles, if you need info shoot me an email

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »
I have to agree with Dave on the quality of a Ron Long barrel, or lock.   Never heard of a problem with one of his guns.  He
made mostly bullet barrels, which are rather fussy about what you shoot in them........Don

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »
If you have a Don Brown parts set rifle, it is most probable that the stockwood is English walnut. It may be plain, but sturdy wood with tight grain. He also carved wood supplied by the buyer so other species may be encountered.
Gene

Offline Hefner

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
In the early 1980's, I was acting as a range officer during the Arizona State ML Championship matches.  Ron Long waved me down to his shooting position.  I asked how I could help out.  Ron stated that he had three shots touching in a ragged hole on his 100 yard X-Sticks target and he needed me to verify where his next shot might hit the target.  It was an easy call as the shot ended up in the same ragged hole group!  I don't remember Ron's final score but I'm sure it was a 50 with as least a couple of X's.

A year or so later, I remember Ron offering his premium RB barrels and guaranteed them to shoot a 50 - 5X at 50 yards for $230 (IIRC).

From my prospective, Ron Long has always had an impeccable reputation for offering premium products.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

A year or so later, I remember Ron offering his premium RB barrels and guaranteed them to shoot a 50 - 5X at 50 yards for $230 (IIRC).

Hefner,
I lived in Colorado in the early 80's and used to shoot with Ron on a regular basis, as well as frequent his shop.  I remember Ron charging an additional $100.00 to clamp a 20 power Unertl scope to one of his barrels, mount it up into one of his Ken Bresien style undrhammer actions and head out to the Denver Muzzleloader club and shoot a proof target for a customer.

Sorry to get off topic.
I don't know who bought Don Brown's equipment after he passed away.  After Don's passing, his daughter and son in law came to one of our Washington State Historical Gunmakers Guild annual meetings looking to find a buyer.  The last I heard, they had sold the stock duplicating machine separate from the rest of the business and were still trying to sell the patterns etc.  That was a couple of years back so someone may own the patterns and business for all I know.
David    
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:02:41 PM by David Rase »

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
I met R. Long some years ago at our DCRA 1000 yd  Black Powder matches held in Ottawa. Last I heard, he was ill. Is he still with us ?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
Rod England in SC owns the Don Brown Alex Henry tooling now.
His E mail is <rtengland864@aol.com>.He has owned it for a
while and is making parts from it.

Bob Roller

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:59 AM »
I also remember Ron's fee for shooting a "proof" target.  I didn't do that since I was buying a tapered .54 that a customer had stuck him with.  Many years back Ron went to Cody, WY and was the shop foreman for the Ballard Rifle Company which I think is now called Wyoming Armory.  The last I heard he was in Cheyenne and had been ill, but was said to be improving. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.