Author Topic: william Honaker  (Read 2744 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
william Honaker
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:23:49 AM »
I know a little bit about the Honaker family of gunsmiths but have not found anything on William Honaker. I heard of a rifle signed W M Honaker.  Does anyone have any information on him?     Thanks  JIM
JIM

brooktrout

Re: william Honaker
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 12:27:03 AM »
Whisker's book of Va gun makers shows a William Honaker under the listing for Abraham Honaker but the way it is stated it is totally confusing as to the relationship of William to Abraham.  It looks like William was either a son or possible a grand son.  They appear to have been from Wythe County Va but there is also mention of Raleigh County which is now West Va.  and Bland County Va.  But all locations are generally adjoining counties.  I think Tim Hodge has a gun listed for sale but not sure of the first name yet I'm sure Honaker is the last name.  Check that out at Aspen Shade LTD.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:47:30 AM »
brooktrout, Thank you for the information. Did Whiskers give any kind of working date for William?
Thanks  JIM
JIM

brooktrout

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:25:15 AM »
Sorry but nothing at all about William.  Abraham was born in 1774 and married in "about" 1803.  IF William was his son then you might conclude he would not have been making guns until maybe the 1820's.  By not being in this book you might also conclude that William was not known as a Virginia gun maker (as the book is supposed to highlight Virginia makers).  He might have been or might be known as a West Va maker.  

More to follow....

Here is the Aspen Shade gun.

http://www.aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_hon.html

As you can see it is of one of two possible sons of Abraham based on the listing.  I'm finding Whiskers book lacking in many ways.  In this case it does not even mention these two sons as gun makers.  I do understand that there is another Whisker's book on Va gun makers that is supposed to have more detail but I do not have that book.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:30:57 AM by brooktrout »