Author Topic: patch box button  (Read 5404 times)

Ephraim

patch box button
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:06:13 AM »
Has any one ever tried a horse shoe nail for a release on a Tenn. rifle with a banana patch box? Do you think you could get it to spring enough to work.
Ephraim
ps. Love this new sight spell check YES maid for dummys like me.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: patch box button
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »
Has any one ever tried a horse shoe nail for a release on a Tenn. rifle with a banana patch box? Do you think you could get it to spring enough to work.
Ephraim
I am sure they will work fine. I have made springs for sliding patch boxes out of 20 penny nails and also out of pins from an old door hinge. The had plenty of spring without hardening them (other than work hardening).
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Ephraim

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:28:03 AM »
Thanks I will try tomorrow got to go to the tack shop and get some.
Ephraim

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:13:31 AM »
I'm sure it would work great.  It doesn't have to move very much to release the lid.  How about posting a picture when done.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »
I thought about this last night and I might suggest getting a box of concrete nails from the local hardware store and try using them if your horseshoe nails doesn't work.  I bought a box for this but have not tried using them yet.  They seem to be pretty good steel.
Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
Concrete nails work great. I have used them on several rifles. They have enough hardness that no heat reating is required.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
I have a bunch of old zig-zag springs from an upholstered chair that had been burnt. They work great without heat treating.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
Ephraim

These things are about as soft as anything you can get they are meant to be bent and stay bent to retain the set.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Ephraim

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:40:30 AM »
Ephraim
Well I got some horse shoe nails and filed and hammered and got out the kasint and it took 3 tries but it worked now if I could make photo bucket work for me I would post pics.
Ephraim