Author Topic: File Chalk  (Read 10766 times)

tuffy

File Chalk
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
I have a couple of question about using file chalk. First, is it necessary to use file chalk? And second, is there a specific type of chalk used on files or will any black board chalk work?

jim m

Re: File Chalk
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »
chalk helps keep fillings from building up in the teeth of the file. as to what type of chalk, not real sure. if I have chalk I use it, if I don't have any I just card the file occasionly with a brass brush.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »
I occasionally use chalk but have not found that it helps a whole lot on used files.  The ones that I chalked new seem to work better from then on.  I also card the files as needed and every few strokes, I rub the file with my fingers which seems to help a lot.

Other comments on how and when to use chalk would be of interest to me as well.

Bruce

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I've used chalkboard chalk when filing on barrels but little else. still need a file card. I suppose you could abscound some big colored sidewalk chalk from the kids, or in my case....grandkids!
Tom C.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:58:20 PM »
Eh, I've used chalk, and it might help SOME, but not a whole lot.  Of course, I guess any help should be appreciated.

Chalk is chalk.  Doesn't matter the source.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »
Damp chalk ain't so good, though.

Acer

You know, Dixon's is coming up fast.....

Just thought I'd mention that, in case it slipped your mind.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

keweenaw

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »
Not all chalk is the same.  Some blackboard chalks have stuff added to them to help keep the dust down and to make them less likely to break.  Some can be quite waxy.  The file chalk I use is quite soft.

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »
I have found that child's sidewalk chalk works the best.
                                                 Brian
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:25:36 AM by wvmtnman »
B. Lakatos

dannylj

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 04:27:45 AM »
I too use large sidewalk chalk - easy to find and handle. Danny

tuffy

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:43 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. Guess I need to call the grandkids ;D.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:11:22 AM »
I use carpenter's marking chalk.  It is a rather hard chalk shaped like a flat carpenter's pencil.  Works very good.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Rich

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
I use chalkboard chalk and it seems to help. A good way to clear the chips (shown to me by George Suiter) is to get a small piece of annealed sheet brass and work it over the file until the teeth cut their shape into the edge of the brass. This can be used to clear the chips stuck in the file teeth. It works a lot better than a file card.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »
I use chalkboard chalk and it seems to help. A good way to clear the chips (shown to me by George Suiter) is to get a small piece of annealed sheet brass and work it over the file until the teeth cut their shape into the edge of the brass. This can be used to clear the chips stuck in the file teeth. It works a lot better than a file card.

I have seen people use aluminum for the same purpose.  It easily forms to the file teeth.

Bruce

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »
I have a couple of question about using file chalk. First, is it necessary to use file chalk? And second, is there a specific type of chalk used on files or will any black board chalk work?

It does help to some extent. I use it at times but not much. It helps prevent loading the file and gouging the work.
But remember its just soapstone (at least the stuff sold by Brownell's) as sold in welding shops for marking steel so don't pay a premium for "file chalk". Never tried chalkboard chalk and as I said I seldom use the soapstone.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Joe S

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »
I don’t bother with chalk when filing steel, but I wouldn’t file brass without it.  I use powdered carpenter’s line chalk.  I find the powdered chalk much easier to use and more effective than other forms of chalk.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »
I use the stuff from Brownells, colored or board chalk may have additives that are not desired. For brass a bit of wax helps keep the teeth clean. I still use a card even with the chalk. I understood the chalk to keep the burrs from sticking to the file and the card to remove them.

I will have to try some of the soapstone, however my initial response is that it might not "fill" the file grooves as well since it is more brittle...

A bit off topic, but if you are ever doing aluminum of other soft non ferrous materials use a stiff wax on the file, it helps it not to load up.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
I use the stuff from Brownells, colored or board chalk may have additives that are not desired. For brass a bit of wax helps keep the teeth clean. I still use a card even with the chalk. I understood the chalk to keep the burrs from sticking to the file and the card to remove them.

I will have to try some of the soapstone, however my initial response is that it might not "fill" the file grooves as well since it is more brittle...

A bit off topic, but if you are ever doing aluminum of other soft non ferrous materials use a stiff wax on the file, it helps it not to load up.

The stuff I got from Brownell's years back was simply the flat soapstone used by welders and such in a holder to mark steel.
Still have some so I have not reordered and would not. Easier to buy local.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
Never knew the powdered stuff would work. Glad to hear it.

Me, I had searched until I found a hardware that sold honest-to-gosh solid pieces of soft chalk.

No expert on this but it seems to help with my Ancient files.

By the way, years ago Nicholson File published a little pamphlet called File Philosohpy  If I ever find mine again will scan it in for this site, unless it is already on tutorials or somesuch. I was in to Nicholson a couple times on business (heat resistant alloy for their lead, now bismuth, pots) & got to chat with guys. Think I got their Filosophical tutorial back when they were still in Philadelphia. And yes, Gentlemen, before the Rust Belt rusted we used to manufacture stuff up here.

Joe S

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »
Buy the powdered chalk in a tall plastic container.  Just dip your files in it, and knock off the excess.  Brush as necessary, and your files will stay clean.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:24:17 PM by Joe S »

Offline rick landes

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 12:32:26 AM »

The stuff I got from Brownell's years back was simply the flat soapstone used by welders and such in a holder to mark steel.
Still have some so I have not reordered and would not. Easier to buy local.
Dan

We have boxes of the flat s/s in the shop, but what I had gotten fro Brownells was tubed, 2 sticks per tube about 1"x4" waxless white chalk...
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »

I use an old .50 case, with the neck crushed flat; better hold, and not so easily lost on my crowded workbench... ;D
Real bikes are kick-started....