Author Topic: Ok weird question of the day  (Read 4786 times)

Sawatis

Ok weird question of the day
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »
Hey guys
Have any of y'all ever seen or heard of a "take-down" long rifle?  Has a splice joint in the forearm so when you pull the breech plug screw you can dismantle it in half??
Sounds crazy but doable but any historical examples?
John

Hemo

Re: Ok weird question of the day
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:05:01 AM »
Sawatis, take a look at rifle #3 on Jim Kibler's site (www.jimkibler.net). That's the only one I've ever seen!

Gregg

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:09:05 AM »
There is, or was, one in the basement of the Wallace-Dewitt gallery in Colonial Williamsburg the last time I visited.
David

Sawatis

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 05:21:13 AM »
Well I'll be. Nice looking rifle Jim! So Dave there's a period piece there at Williamsburg huh.  Had a fellow asking about making one that he could carry in regular sized rifle cases on the airlines. Guess it would be practical!
Would love to see some other pics!
Thanks
John

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:46:42 AM »
I once saw an original with a splice in the forend.  The barrel had a hook breech so when the lowest wedge was removed, one lifted off the barrel and forward portion of the forend stock.  Each piece of wood had a brass plate at the joint. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:50:09 AM »
Look in past threads for a contemporary example by Jim Kibler.
There is an original on display in the gallery at Williamsburg IIRC.
I know I have seen a few other originals as well. A lot of birding pieces were done that way. If the majority were done when built or after a forend catastrophe I dont know.

Offline Majorjoel

Joel Hall

Sawatis

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
Ok well I guess it wasn't such a weird question after all!  That Morrison rifle is exquisite. Will have to look for that one at CW next time I'm out that way.
Thanks
John

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 05:08:14 AM »
Have seen em at the Ohio longrifle show in Marrietta,Oh,and in some books.I have built 2,one in walnut,other in cherry.Walnut one uses pins,cherry has a single key  and tang screw to take down.Pics of walnut rifle are on gunsinternational for sale---mountainman-is my name.A neat way to build.The walnut rifle was made from same board as forestock,just wasnt enough wood to get another fullstock,so we got a half and a forestock,and a nice long barrel,found a relic butt on ebay,complete with furniture,and built it off the relic layout.Thanks,Dave