Author Topic: LMF Browning issue  (Read 15139 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Re: LMF Browning issue
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »
well whats up with a rear sight that wont take to browning? I stripped the bluing off, sanded with 100 grit and its not doing a darn thing over 2 days  ??? Its just a bluish color.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
Try a brief dunk in 50/50 bleach/water solution.  That'll let you know if the alloy will rust at all, and possibly "kick start" the reaction by etching the surface.   

Test your solution with a nail or scrap metal to see how quickly it works, because if you walk off and forget it you may not like the results. 

Also may need damp box as Winter air is usually very dry.  Put part in container with wet rag or sponge, put in warm place.
Hold to the Wind

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 12:29:37 AM »
I tried that this morning and only a couple spots got rusty. I'll buy a bottle of the birchwood casey plum brown and do the  heat treatment on it. Only darn piece holding up from completing another build. Funny, 3 other sights of the same took without an issue.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 12:38:12 AM »
You tried clorox?  Thats what i meant by "test your solution".  It's not for the faint of heart, but will elicit a quick response in most steel alloys.
Hold to the Wind

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
i tried clorox and only a few tiny rust spots started, that was it.

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »
woohoo!!! After 2 days and a new bottle of LMF its finally  browning. I don't know what the heck was going on before.