Author Topic: Inletting  (Read 3584 times)

Berks Liberty

Inletting
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
Anyone ever try to inlet silver wire directly into a horn.  Or how about using pouring pewter into a recessed area on a horn like you would when making a knife handle or muzzle cap.  I'm thinking of using wire inlay on a horn but i'm not sure how it will hold and keep it from falling out.  What size wire would you use?

Jason

lew wetzel

Re: Inletting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
jason,i dont think you could lay wire into the horn itself but you could really dress up the wooden plugs...have you ever done any inlay work before???after you cut the design and install the wire ribbon you use water to swell back and lock in the wire...dont see being able to accomplish this with a horn...but if you do fiqure out how to do it please post pics!!!

Berks Liberty

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
jason,i dont think you could lay wire into the horn itself but you could really dress up the wooden plugs...have you ever done any inlay work before???after you cut the design and install the wire ribbon you use water to swell back and lock in the wire...dont see being able to accomplish this with a horn...but if you do fiqure out how to do it please post pics!!!

I've used wire inlay on a rifle I built and liked the way it looked.  Looking at a lot of horns I haven't seen any on the internet which used wire inlay in the horn itself.  I'll keep looking and experimenting to see if it works. 

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »
MMMMMMMM, interesting idea.  I have used pewter on horns lots of times.  But I honestly do not think wire inlay would work because there is no wood grain to "grab" it.  But it would be worth a try and we would all learn something. 

I am also not sure what kind of tool would be used to cut the line, maybe an exacto knife,  but here again I am at a loss.

Good luck and keep us posted on howit goes.

Coryjoe