Author Topic: All these Hawken Threads?  (Read 37527 times)

Offline Luke MacGillie

All these Hawken Threads?
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:56:09 AM »
Got me a wondering, Are Beaver Going to Shine Again? Will there be Tipi's for as far as the eye can see in the Laughery Valley?

With this new Mountain Man movie coming out next Christmas, are the 18th Centuries days numbered?

I walked away from pretty much all things 18th Century a little more than a year ago.  Back doing/making Rocky Mountain fur trade gear and having the time of my life.  I've had more than one person comment that they were were going to head that way as well, to try and return to the heyday of Buckskinning. 

Anyone else seeing this in the type of guns and gear that customers are wanting?

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: All these Hawken Threads?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
There's a new mountain man film coming out?
                                    Dan

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:24:21 AM »
There's a new mountain man film coming out?
                                    Dan

yep

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/01/21/leonardio-dicaprio-the-revenant

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »
( May I be dipped in gall and et fer the devils tater !!! )Mountain doings are gonna shine agin, Waugh !

Luke, you betcha beavers, bound to shine agin! Im a smiling like a fox a eatin yallerjackits and caint wait fer the shindig to get started,....waugh!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

hammer

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
The film purports to tell the true story of Hugh Glass.  But is that the true story???     

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
I wonder if anyone realy knows all the facts thus the true story. I cant think that Hollywood does or will represent them with out some added color.

Offline jrb

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
I don't know Luke, I've been wondering about what seems to be a fad lately of big fat butted "iron" mounted 18th century rifles just like my Grandpa used to kill pesky cougars.
I'm dreaming of a flintlock canoe gun with a carbon fiber stock.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
Oh no, not Hawken rifles and leather again. I got over that affliction in the early 80's. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
Hawken's back?  Luckily I've been vaccinated, so I know I can't catch the affliction making it's 3rd rounds!  ::)
Joel Hall

Mike R

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
I built myself a Hawken back ~1980, traded it off, acquired another, traded it off and recently traded off my third one for a nice 1730s French Dragoon pistol....for some reason I am attracted to Hawkens, but can't justify keeping them....on the rare occasions I drift spiritually into the early 19th century I have several longrifles that do the trick for me.  My old buckskinning group broke up in the late 1990s and I do sorta miss it.  It was where I started years ago.  Still could go afield as a 1820s/30s trapper, even without the good ol' [and typically later period] Hawken.  Good hunting rifles, though.

Offline sz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
I am probably best known for my "Golden Age" longrifles and German Jaegers, but I build Hawkens and a few other plains rifles quite often.  They never did “go under" in my shop.Last year alone I made 3 of them that were ordered by various customers.
Funny thing---- I live in the Wind River valley.  Right where the "beaver shined" and the trappers came to haven on earth.
I am often asked to make recreations of the guns that were used by the famous trappers who make the Winds famous, but I have never made one for a man or woman who lives in Wyoming let alone the wind rifle country.

Maybe my location just causes hunters and shooters to ask for them when they come here.  Who knows.

But the country still cries out to those that come here and walk in these mountains and down the Wind River.  
Shine again....?
You mean shine still!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:17:19 PM by sz »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »
 Well, if the still picture is any indicator, I wouldn't expect much. His frizzen is open, his hammer is down, and I don't see any smoke. Sounds like another Jeremiah Jerkweed movie generated by Hollywierd to me. Time will tell. It will all hinge on who they get as an advisor.

Hungry Horse

Offline jrb

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »
For us east of the Mississippi I think it's gonna be nothing but moonshine, and Snuffy Smith type gun stuff, maybe some beatleboots.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 07:57:40 PM »
I have always liked the fur trade and the history of it.
Old Joe Meek was born and raised about 2 miles from where I live.
 I have always liked the Hawken rifles.

sz I have always liked the Wind River Area and all the history that goes along with it. You live in a nice part of our beautiful country.

I hope the movie represents the Mountain Man and the fur trade as it should be. Looking forward to seeing it.
iloco

Offline Longknife

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
Well, if the still picture is any indicator, I wouldn't expect much. His frizzen is open, his hammer is down, and I don't see any smoke. Sounds like another Jeremiah Jerkweed movie generated by Hollywierd to me. Time will tell. It will all hinge on who they get as an advisor.

Hungry Horse

Well,  at least "mountain Man" is not carrying a T/C!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Mike R

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:47:01 PM »
I have always liked the fur trade and the history of it.
Old Joe Meek was born and raised about 2 miles from where I live.
 I have always liked the Hawken rifles.

sz I have always liked the Wind River Area and all the history that goes along with it. You live in a nice part of our beautiful country.

I hope the movie represents the Mountain Man and the fur trade as it should be. Looking forward to seeing it.
You ever see a photo of Joe Meeks rifle?  {at least that is who I remember} It is in The book Plains Rifles by Hanson.  The thing looks for all the world like a piece of trash import kit gun like they used to sell in the 1970s--from Spain , Japan,or Italy, etc....A current Traditions longrifle looks as good.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:48:02 PM by Mike R »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
 "Old Sally" does indeed look like a cheap kit gun. The back action lock, and two piece stock, are anything but what we would expect from a genuine trapper/trader like Joe Meeks. Oh, by the way, the term "mountain man" is a modern term, most likely coined by Remington, when he did all his drawings of genuine "mountain men' in the 1870's.

Hungry Horse

Buckingham

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:13 AM »
I knew nothing about nothing regarding black powder, flintlocks, or muzzle loaders when I first came across my  first, one and only primitive rifle over two years ago - in fact at that time, the term "black" to me connoted a black rifle whose model number was prefaced by  "AR-somethingorother."

Divine Providence saw fit to bring a Doug Scott full stock flintlock Hawken into my life, and I am changed for the better.

Now I just need to learn how to dress a deer, and I am ready for these same "old timey" events which the OP is referencing, I think....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:25:44 AM by Buckingham »

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »
I knew nothing about nothing regarding black powder, flintlocks, or muzzle loaders when I first came across my  first, one and only primitive rifle over two years ago - in fact at that time, the term "black" to me connoted a black rifle whose model number was prefaced by  "AR-somethingorother."

Divine Providence saw fit to bring a Doug Scott full stock flintlock Hawken into my life, and I am changed for the better.

Now I just need to learn how to dress a deer, and I am ready for these same "old timey" events which the OP is referencing, I think....

I would certainly share a camp and a cup of coffee with you and pass on any knowlege that I can.  I spend my days dealing with Lectric Gatling Guns, SCAR's and SOPMOD'd M4's and the like, but I grew up in the heyday of Buckskinning, and while I took a 30 some year jaunt into reenacting, I dont rightly care much to reenact anything other than Friendship ca 1976.......

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 02:35:02 AM »
For us east of the Mississippi I think it's gonna be nothing but moonshine, and Snuffy Smith type gun stuff, maybe some beatleboots.
MMMMMMMMM, beatle boots......... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Tony Clark

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 04:19:49 AM »

Well... I think it should be an interesting movie to see especially considering what there is to choose from these days.
Hugh Glasses story though... wondering how they could make a full length movie about it... even though it is very well documented by so many different sources. Think they might "hollywood" it up a bit? Ya think? Hawken rifles are good... mountain man movies are great bring them on.... somebody should even make a decent western these days that would be nice. 
I want to see the part were Di Caprio gets attacked and torn to shreds by a grizzly. I might even want to see that on a big screen.

Tony Clark

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:04 AM »

Hungry Horse

You don't like the movie Jeremiah Johnson with Redford?  that is a classic! What kind of movies do you like then??? Huh?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 05:23:08 AM »
Jeremiah Johnson is a good movie, but it isn't close to historically accurate. I have it on disc and enjoy watching it on a winter's night, but part of the fun is pointing out all the Hollywood goofs.
                            Dan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 06:46:42 AM »
 Are we talkin' about the same movie? Is this the one where Redford looks like the costuming department shopped street vendors in Tijuana for his outfit? And what about the the dead guy, unmolested by wild animals, in the rocky mountains, in winter, with a perfectly usable "Hawken" still in his hands. If it wasn't for Will Gere it would have been a bomb. REALLY, this is a good movie? On what planet?

Hungry Horse

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 07:26:30 AM »
H H I agree that Jeremiah Johnson was about as inaccurate as you can get with Redfords rifles and gear but lets not forget most movies are made as entertainment not historical documentaries. As such they take a grain of truth (maybe) and embellish it with lots of good old fashion shootem up and romance and create entertainment ( again maybe). A true documentary on the average fur traper during the fur trade era would have a very small audience indeed. We who really desire total accuracy in these matters are a very small minority of viewers. Truth is most don't care about accuracy or wouldn't recognize accurate portrayal of rifles and other gear if it happened. Probably not fifteen people between Montgomery and the Tennessee line knows the difference between a Siler lock and late Ketland or between a Hawken or Pennsylvania rifle. To top it off they don't care. Only a few of us do. Tim