Author Topic: John Brooks 090222-1  (Read 10976 times)

Offline nord

John Brooks 090222-1
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »
Lancaster, PA  1800-1803, then Harrisburg, PA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments:

Isn't this just what we would all like to find? A truly classic rifle in attic condition! This is one of the best pieces I have seen in many a day. The work of Brooks ranks very high and yet there isn't too much of it seen. I vote  to put it into the Library without delay.
This one has the careful sculpturing of the cheek rest and the thoughtful low relief carving that accentuates the left side around the cheek rest. Work that Brooks did extremely well and usually only on his very best rifles. I would put him into the same class as Leonard Reedy or perhaps even a step or two above. The stock wood is particularly finely striped.
The patch box has the bird style finial and although the photos don't show it (on my machine) it is no doubt beautifully engraved.
A big resounding 'Thank you!' to the owner for letting us see it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:05:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.