Author Topic: Kentucky Rifles  (Read 8109 times)

Offline louieparker

Kentucky Rifles
« on: February 14, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/arts/design/created-by-hand-lock-stock-and-
barrel.html

Thought someone might like to read this.....LP

Offline louieparker

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Kentucky Rifles
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
An interesting and informative insight into Mr. Kindig's character.  Thanks Louie!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
I particularly like the bit about Mr. Kindig refusing to sell his arms to those who seemed snobbish or ignorant.  His idea of presenting the PA/KY rifle as America's first true artwork is the direction I feel we need to take things as well if we are to garner continued interest in my generation and younger.  I forget who it was, but a collector told me once that Joe would gladly talk about his collection, but only after you'd passed the "test" - that being, if the first thing you did was see how it shouldered instead of looking over the artistry of the piece, he would remain tight-lipped.  I wish I could remember who told me that, but you can begin to see into a bit of his character. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 12:56:06 AM »
I was told by one collector that when he was younger and had his first chance to visit the Kindig collection. Having just met the man, Mr. Kindig asked what he was interested in seeing. He responded that he was interested in the Berks Co. Rifles. He was taken in for a rare treat he will never forget. Mr. Kindig evidently was not interested in showing anybody the whole of the collection but only those who knew what they were about were allowed to see their particular area of interest. How cool is that. My problem is living on the wrong side of the country. :(
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »
What I find interesting about this photo and others I have seen of the collection is the absence of wear plates.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:57:25 PM »
What scares the heck out of me is that old leak in the ceiling and the wall cracking away!! :o
Joel Hall

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
What I find interesting about this photo and others I have seen of the collection is the absence of wear plates.

And the absence of gray hair on Frank.

Pre wear plate era????
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:43:06 PM by Ky-Flinter »
JIM

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 05:29:14 PM »
See that big smile on Frank, I think he bought all of those with wear plates !!

Offline debnal

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
Frank,
The only thing wrong with that picture is that I am not in it with you. Maybe when I stop by to see you in June you can take me there!
Al

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »
I have a couple of thoughts on the lack of wear plates on the earlier rifles. It seems to me that the vast majority of early guns don't have as much flash of brass and sliver as the later ones. That kind of ornamentation was not in style tell later. I would guess  travel on horse back less prevalent in the mid to late 18Th century? Walking was a widely accepted mode of transportation.
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
I thought wear plates were only installed to cover up ramrod channel errors! ;)

Offline eastwind

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/eastwind3/BildahlPhoto_885_zps76ce45a9.jpg?1424023841821&1424023843381

Frank's picture in the Kindig gun room reminded me that (I have a random selection of pictures of the room from 1950-60 and last year in the new gun room. The famous old room in Kindig's attic in York is gone.

Thought you might enjoy these--some will be in the new book coming in March--some were simply not up to par with many from old slides. Please do not copy these for anything but your own use, as most came from private parties.

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline eastwind

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
OOPS--apparently I negelected to load the photos properly. I'll work on it again.

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:26:36 PM »
Great Pictures! Thanks Patrick!

John
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
Wow, mind blowing to say the least!

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:07 PM »
When I was in that room in 1971 (just one week before Mr. Kindig died) there were three times as many rifles on that shelf around the wall.  You had to carefully pull two or three guns out at a time to get to the one you wanted to see.  The table was pilled so high with guns it would have been impossible to add another.  More were in piles under and around the table.   It was all so overwhelming.  In another room there was a bed loaded with more rifles including the brass barrel rifle, and there were boxes full of carved powder horns.  A collection like that will never be duplicated.  Thank goodness old Joe preserved all those treasures for us to enjoy today.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor...  Those photos are wonderful - thank you for sharing, Patrick. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 01:03:30 AM »
It is worth mentioning that while there were many other very large collections of KY Rifles accumulated back in the early 20s, 30s, and 40s, (Cook, Dillin, Woodmansee & others), Joe Kindig was the first to apply standards of merit to the genre.
He didn't see just the product, but sought to learn about who made them, where, when, and the lives of the makers.
It is too bad that he didn't write more books about what he learned, but he nonetheless began the search that continues to this day.
Dick

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
Pat,
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Buck