Author Topic: Dream gun  (Read 16434 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Dream gun
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »
Something like a John & Joe Manton flinter with nice english wood, ebony forend tip, nice checkerd grip, engraved, and in 69 cal. Not very american but I live close to Canada.   ;D

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 11:04:42 PM »
Like Wade said "every rifle I build is a dream" although some of mine have been nightmares!
Mark
Mark

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
I've recently fallen hopelessly in love with iron mounted southern rifles.

Naphtali

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 09:55:33 PM »
Slowly but slowly they are being created by Gene Gordner - Alexander Henry .72-caliber Sporting rifles, one with Serengeti maple, one with Serengeti bastogne walnut "stealth laminated" stocks, Joe Williams barrels, machine work on barrels and left-handed created patent breeches by Kelly Stottlemyer, and on, and on. Delivery expected . . . before my death.

They are intended to be used on a cape buffalo. I expect to be able to shoot two aimed bulleted shots. I think I'll have an edge - but life will be interesting until things level off.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:58:00 PM by Naphtali »

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 01:04:23 AM »
I'm kind of a heretic, ::)

I wanna build a Billinghurst 'Cylinder' rifle..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline whitebear

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:44 AM »
I have never owned a rifle made by anyone of any consequence.  I would like to own a nice rifle made for me by someone else.  That is my dream.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 03:40:24 AM »
Metalshaper:

I hope you will build it as a pill lock. I have one of his originals in pill lock, with an unusual full stock and no patch box. It would be good for measurements, etc. but is with me in Alaska.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 04:25:16 AM »
Metalshaper:

I hope you will build it as a pill lock. I have one of his originals in pill lock, with an unusual full stock and no patch box. It would be good for measurements, etc. but is with me in Alaska.

Bill Paton

Mr. Paton,

I would certainly hope to build it as a Pill Lock!!  Maybe I could persuade you for some pictures?
Btw, never seen a pic or museum example that was full stocked?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
My dream rifle would be an English sporting rifle. Percussion bar-in-wood lock with English walnut stock and .58 caliber octagon to round barrel. I guess I'll have to do like a friend of mine does and put myself in line with everybody else and when my time comes I'll build myself one!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 02:30:57 AM »
SXS English gun with 26" tubes of 14 bore - rifled 1 in 80" Rifling to be .005" or .006" deep, grooves double the width of the lands.

It would look very much like this 15 bore John Manton smoothbore, but have 4" shorter barrels.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:39:27 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 05:28:11 AM »
Early German "wender" or swivel breech. One smooth, one rifled. Held an original at an antique arms show and have always dreamed of that gun. Someday...........

rkaires

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
My dream rifle would be a light .40cal Lehigh Schimmel built by Allen Martin or Eric von Aschwege.

Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
I have three 'dreams' waiting in queue:

1)  Wm. Antes swivel breech .54 cal
2)  T. Allison .25 cal
3)  JP Beck .50 smooth rifle
4)  A.Verner .50 cal pistol (to match my rifle)
5)  14 bore flint double with original  Staudenmayer bbls

und so wieder...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 07:39:56 PM »
Ok. I think an early Lancaster rifle , and
A Dog Lock fowler from Jeff Miller would be # 1 with me.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »
 A unit marked Mondragón or a Virginia rifle from Mike Brooks.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 10:24:29 PM »
OK, my continuous dream that I keep having over and over. I find an add in the news paper. Old gun for sale. I travel a few miles to an old farm. I knock on the door and introduce myself to the old couple there. They show me this fine old Kentucky rifle that was found in the rafters of their barn. A flintlock with much patina in an early robust shape. The patchbox is too dark to really make anything out. There is very nice relief carving with fine C scrolls in all of the right places. I look at the barrels sweet spot just behind the Germanic rear sight. A deeply engraved signature is present but I cannot quite make it out. I ask the couple if they have an old soft rag I can borrow. I start rubbing gently across the barrels upper flat. "W* Hachen"!  I feel this rush of excitement come over me!  Then I wake up. :'(
Joel Hall

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »
I've got to say..... I already have mine. The Busty Brunette.  A fine Lehigh, made by Allen Martin, "The Lehigh Jedi".
In His grip,

Dane

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:52 PM »
OK, my continuous dream that I keep having over and over. I find an add in the news paper. Old gun for sale. I travel a few miles to an old farm. I knock on the door and introduce myself to the old couple there. They show me this fine old Kentucky rifle that was found in the rafters of their barn. A flintlock with much patina in an early robust shape. The patchbox is too dark to really make anything out. There is very nice relief carving with fine C scrolls in all of the right places. I look at the barrels sweet spot just behind the Germanic rear sight. A deeply engraved signature is present but I cannot quite make it out. I ask the couple if they have an old soft rag I can borrow. I start rubbing gently across the barrels upper flat. "W* Hachen"!  I feel this rush of excitement come over me!  Then I wake up. :'(

And it looks NOTHING like the dozens of attributed "Haga" rifles because it is indeed a much earlier gun ;D!
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 11:45:46 PM »
Ya Eric, it blows all of those attributes right out of the water! ;D 
Joel Hall