Author Topic: Flintlock pistol patterns  (Read 15882 times)

Offline Ezra

Flintlock pistol patterns
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »
I regret that I did not buy more from the late Bill Kennedy.  I still have his small catelog which has (fortunately) most of his pistol barrel profiles.  What I would like to find/buy/steal/beg for is quality stock profiles or blueprints for some of the pistols he once made.  Particularly the Georgian, French trade and the Dueller.  I know that there are some out there manufacturing "Georgian" and other style pistol kits, but I always had an affinity for Bills stuff.  Ideas on how to find examples of his hardware would be of help as well.  I have heard that Bills hardware may have been "copied" from some of Mr. Goehrings.  Help appreciated.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Sam Everly

Re: Flintlock pistol patterns
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »
Ezra, if i remeber it right, some one bought all of Bills Pistol stuff and was to make them. If you contact Barbie or Jim Chambers they might know who got them . Who ever was making the barrels for him might know also . 

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:05:28 AM »
Yes, I think you are correct.  But if memory serves, the continued production of Kennedys pistol kits did not last.  I also heard that Bills moulds for his castings were rubber and therefore, according to my source, of limited value.  I sure hope all that he did and the wonderful kits he provided has not passed with him... :(

Ez

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:32 AM »
Ezra,

I believe that Don Yerks is the fellow who took up making Bill's pistols, but for some reason it didn't last very long.

Don has a website:

http://hometown.aol.com/hangfire1755/milerunmuzzleloaders2index.html

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:22:34 AM »
Ezra,

I believe that Don Yerks is the fellow who took up making Bill's pistols, but for some reason it didn't last very long.

Don has a website:

http://hometown.aol.com/hangfire1755/milerunmuzzleloaders2index.html

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Yes!!  That was who was doing them.  I wonder what happened?  Is all of that lost now?

Ez

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »
For whatever reason, when these guys are gone, the stuff is gone.  WARNING!!! Do you think Reeves Goering's stuff is going to be there when he's gone. I have piles.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »
Ezra- if you are looking for a variety of flint plstol patterns, Track has a great little book on flint pistols.  The really nice thing about the book is the measurements of the barrels in thousanths at different lengths along the tube and excellent photos.

It's cheap, but needs to be holed for the rings of a small binder as they come apart easily.  This is really not a detrinent for the book, it's great and was the inspiration for both Taylor's pistol and mine.

I'll edit this to include some pics.

Forgot my password for photobucket. I'll get this edited when I get home from Ontario. on the coming weekend. I think that's when we get home.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:25:32 PM by Daryl »

don getz

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 02:24:22 PM »
A fellow by the name of Chris Altland bought all of Bills equipment and stock patterns.  Much of his stuff needs a lot of
"fixiing", and Chris is working on it.  I think he will be at Dixon's, so you will be able to see where he stands on his
projects......Don

Offline C. ALTLAND

• Chris Altland - York County Firelocks - Authentic 18th Century Flintlock Pistol Parts Sets & Pistol Restoration Parts
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Ezra,

I will be attending Dixion's and the CLA shows. The first gun that we will be putting into production will be a pistol that Bill Kennedy had only made twice. It is the JP Beck pistol and the kits that will be offered first will be sterling silver mounted with brass offered latter on. There will be two other new styles offered. Hopefully by the CLA show the second style pistol will be available and it is a James Barber styled English holster pistol. The third pistol will be a early Henry styled  Kentucky pistol that is  pictured in the book written by S.E. Dyke on page 34. Also the molds that bill owned are in good working condition and we have made up a few new molds and will be offering some new mountings as well in sterling silver and soft yellow brass.  Some of the other pistol patterns that Bill Kennedy had made will be offered later on as well as other new patterns.

Chris Altland
York County Firelocks
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:35:34 PM by C. ALTLAND »
YORK COUNTY FIRELOCKS  PH# 717-755-3682 
http://www.firelockpistols.com/

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »
Chris,

I am so glad to hear about the Beck.  Has long been my favorite gun.  I tried to build a copy a few years ago, and just didn't get the architecture right.

Sure would like to try again. 

How does one go about getting the hardware, barrels, etc??
In His grip,

Dane

Offline C. ALTLAND

• Chris Altland - York County Firelocks - Authentic 18th Century Flintlock Pistol Parts Sets & Pistol Restoration Parts
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »
Smallpatch,

Give me a call at 717-755-3682. The barrels are made by the Getz barrel company.
The castings are being done right now. Dixon's is way to close!  :o

Chris Altland
York County Firelocks
     717-755-3682

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:54:06 PM by C. ALTLAND »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:57:30 PM »
Chris,
Is the James Barber holster pistol hardware one of a military or gentleman's design?

Brian Bussard

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
Chris,

Will there be a website with photos of the different profiles?

Thanks!

Offline C. ALTLAND

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »
The Barber pistol will be a military design. And a web site would be later on. Most likely a brochure will be first.

Chris Altland

RWood

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
Chris, It's good to know someone is taking up where the untimely passing of Bill left off. Pistol parts have been lagging behind for too long. I am looking forward to meeting you at Dixon's

Sam Everly

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »
I sent a e-mail a few years back to Barbie that she might talk to Reaves about his stuff . I think you would kind of lead in to that kind of question ! But some one does need to ask about them and start to think about it now, not when he is gone . 

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 02:14:17 AM »
I would love to get the pattern & parts for one of those big a_s Early English18th C  horse pistols with the long big bore barrels .
I think Bill had one in his patterns  but I kept saying "someday"  now it is too late!
I wonder if that may be in the future works?
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline C. ALTLAND

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:35:55 AM »
Jim,

I have the pattern for the pistol you had mentioned. We have discussed the possibility of making that pistol available again. Planning on seeing what people form Dixion's and the CLA shows tell me what they are interested in.  And gauge what pistols to produce next.

Sam,

As far a Reaves  Goehring, I live 5 minutes from him and visit him occasionally. We have talked about his business. When he is unable to run the business he tells me his daughter and son-in law are going to take over.

Chris Altland
York County Firelocks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:37:06 AM by C. ALTLAND »

Online Joe Stein

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »
I talked to Reaves  Goehring at the Baltimore Show this year.  He said that his daughter is already doing some of the work of running the business. 
-Joe

wireman

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:32 PM »
Ezra  If you have a picture of one of his pistols blow it up to the right dimension you can saw out the pattern.The hardware might be a problem.

Marty

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 05:03:25 AM »
I would also also check with Muzzleloader builder supply, Suzie has done a bunch of research on original pistols, she also reproduces their parts very accurately. If you dont see what you want on the site call her up she usually can make or get what you need.

www.muzzleloadersbuilderssupply.com

Marty