Author Topic: New Ball Grip Scalper  (Read 8846 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
New Ball Grip Scalper
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
  New old model. Just finished this one. Seems like I end up doing a lot of repeat designs. By request, not so much by choice. 8" 01 steel blade with acid etched Masonic emblem. Deer rawhide wrapped walnut grip. Forged iron loop on butt with braintan tassels, and brass cones. Deer rawhide over vegetan sheath with deer hair cones and a few trade beads. All lightly aged. Thanks for looking.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: New Ball Grip Scalper
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
Nice, very nice!!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Mike Norin

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:10:31 PM »
That is a great looking knife !! Do you make them for sale?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:11:50 PM by Mike Norin »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
Yes, he makes them for sale and they are carefully researched and executed works.  There are a lot of makers out there who do really fine work.  LRB also knows his steel really well, and does all the work needed to turn out a superb performing knife.  Not a blacksmith "get her cherry, dunk it and then temper it till it turns kinda blue" kind of job (which is what I would do).
Andover, Vermont

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »
What time period & region would that fit into best?
Tom C.

ironwolf

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »
Great job Wick.  The etching looks super clean. Like the rawhide touch too.

YMHS, Kevin

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 12:04:12 AM »
 In reply to T.Castor: Well, I was waiting on that question. After the grand, and very kind remarks from Rich, this is a tad awkward, but this entire outfit is probably somewhat iffy as far as being hardcore historically correct for the 18th c.  Much would depend on ones personal outlook on the matter. It was inspired by a similar set offered by Daniel Winkler, and Karen Shook some years back. The ball grip knives were quite common all through the 18th c., but I think this outfit would have to be classified as somewhat of an 18th c. fantasy rig, although as far as I know, there is nothing present that could be considered as totally out of place, and all the features of this set can be found on original relics. Perhaps, just not all together at once, but there are so few surviving relics of this nature, that the door is sort of left open for artistic speculation. Although this set differs in some details from Daniel Winklers set, I have to give him, and Karen Shook, credit for the basic appearance of it.

Offline Longshot

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
A tasty piece, for sure!

Roy S.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
Another great knife Wick   ;D

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
Sorry if I sounded like the PC Police :-[ The whole package is quite beautiful & well made. Just wondering.....it looks like mountainman era or Plains Indian to me, but I know Eastern Indians carried fancied up stuff like this too. Would a Longhunter carry it? Kinda doubt it.
Great craftsmanship!
Tom C.

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
Nice work Wick, very nice.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
   TCastor, I didn't take it that way at all. It would fit into a later period as easy as earlier times. It is almost a generic design for early America  time frames.  The main problem with the knife would be the plunge line. The cut that divides the blade bevel from the flat ahead of the grip. Not a common feature on that type of knife in the 18th c.,  but in itself, not  unknown then, but when found, it would most often be on a more refined knife overall. I suspect most longhunters, or woodsmen, would have carried little more than a simple trade knife, or common butcher type of the period, in a simple sheath. However, one can conjure up many plausible scenarios to justify such an outfit, if they wanted to carry it in a PC atmosphere.  Thanks for your compliments. Take care.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
  Wick, as always,premium stuff! I think you better build me a 'belly" knife,or scalper. I like the shape of the blade on this one,and the Mason's symbol.Wow! How's your supply of O1? I have a few pieces kicking around here from the past,1/8",1/4".
 Funny, speaking of knives,last summer a buddy gave me back the first blade I ever made. Compared to yours,it looks like a letter opener,LOL!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:38:13 PM by Leatherbelly »

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
Wick--
You have a private message.
Very nice knife. You do excellent work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:07:30 PM by cwallingford »