Author Topic: Officially hooked on flintlocks  (Read 7287 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Officially hooked on flintlocks
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
After having gone a bit crazy and acquiring a handful of flintlock rifles, I actually had a chance recently to fire one of them.  In recognition to it being the first flinter I acquired, I took a DGW "poor boy" in .50 caliber.   Along with a flask of GOEX 3Fg and my son, we headed off to local indoor county range (where they do allow muzzleloaders, as they have a state of the art ventilation system over the firing line).

I was amazed at just how fast the main charge ignited.   I was reminded of Bob Roller's comment that a good spark (along with a properly primed pan) can make it feel like shooting a caplock, and that's exactly what it reminded me of.

The fun was cut short when the range safety officer advised me that the range does not allow real BP, only BP substitutes.  He allowed me to finish loading my last shot, which I let my 7-year-old son fire off the bench rest.   

So I only got about 5 rounds through it, but it was enough to get me hooked. 

Why didn't you all tell me shooting flintlocks was so much fun??!!   ;)  ;)
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Officially hooked on flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »
So, black powder is not allowed but cyanide gas producing powders are OK ?  ;D   Just funnin'  ;)

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
Living is learning, or so I feel.  Long ago I was a "collector" of various things including firearms.  Had a few, mostly cheap junk, but a couple of real treasures among them yet nothing older than about 1850 and no flintlocks.  Never saw the fascination, worthless, complex and too much mess to actually shoot.  It only took me 50 years to out grow that mind set.  NOW, I still have a lot of stuff and many more good quality firearms but the flintlock illness has a firm hold.  I rarely shoot any cartridge gun any more.  The only bad thing about flintlocks is that fellow shooters of modern firearms tend to flock around and want to talk which keep you from actually shooting.  Given the time frame I reserve for my range time I rarely get off as many as 10 shots due to unending conversation with non flintlock shooters.  What's also hard for me to grasp is collectors who do not shoot and in some cases have never shot!

You go to the range with any modern firearm, shoot a bunch of ammo...maybe 100 or more rounds and go home with a sheet of paper full of holes.

Shoot a tight 5 round group with your flintlock however and THAT is a very good day!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
I got the black powder bug over 40 years ago, but budgetary constraints kept me somewhat reined in. OTOH black powder could be had for $1.95/lb. That, along with the slower pace of loading and shooting made the BP much more economical. I saved my pennies and voraciously read everything I could get my hands on, and all of the current magazine articles always stressed the reliability of percussion, with hardly ever any mention of flint, other than to note it's unreliability. It never occurred to my young mind that a gun writer's job is to sell advertising, and very few, if any advertisers were selling flintlock rifles.

My first real longrifle was a Dixie Tennessee rifle in caplock and there is no telling how many pounds of powder went through that old piece and I loved it. Finally about ten years ago I started to build a replica of an old rifle I had received from my Grandfather years ago. After this the building bug became active, so I started planning and building my first flintlock. When the first shot that you have ever fired through a flint rifle is through a rifle that you have put together yourself with no more instruction other that that available in books, there is a bit of trepidation present when you first press the trigger.  :-[

I learned that all those old gun writers had in all probability never fired anything in flint and they were just copying each other when they wrote their stories and I discovered that flint can be just as reliable as percussion ignition, although you must learn a few things to bring that about. I also ascertained that if you are ever going to learn to shoot a flint rifle accurately you must CONCERTRATE on aim and follow through, in spite of that fire breathing mouse trap going off right next to your face.  :o

It sounds like you have made a good start. Enjoy the ride.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
I couldn't agree more with what Molly said.  After firing a tight group with a flinter, now that is a great feeling.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:28:22 PM by crawdad »

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
There is no cure for flint shooting-itus but there are some good support groups. One is right here.  ;D

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
My friends ask me why I only shoot muzzleloaders - which in my case is mostly rock locks now.

My unwavering answer is - "'Cause every shot is an event."

J Hollis

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:33:55 AM »
I have also been bitten by the same bug.  For some reason I was always fascinated with history and the black powder guns in the big sporting goods catalogs.  My dad could never understand that desire to shoot black powder so I was out of the house before I got into BP shooting proper. My first rifle was a Lyman Great Plains with a fast twist barrel.  It accounted for several deer and I was hooked.  It didn't take long and I replaced the bullet barrel with a slow twist round ball barrel.  I have been going backwards ever since...  Been shooting flintlocks for about 5 years now.  As someone new to this forum I would like to say that I have never seen a more talented group of folks assembled in one place.  I am enjoying the opportunity to learn.

Jamey

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 05:42:50 AM »
Welcome Hollis, I hope your journey is a fun ride.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »
Mate, I seem to have acquired 3 flintlocks, have been shooting muzzle loaders since about 1972, mostly only the flintlocks for hunting these days, in fact my .36 squirrel rifle ( possum gun as we don't have squirrels down under)  is currently loaded, not primed and sitting next to me with a tooth pick in its vent, as the rabbits have been hammering the garden of late, have got 3 in the freezer so far ! These rock locks are a big old bunch of fun to shoot !! ;D
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »
Well said, everyone.  Molly, that's exactly my sentiment.   

Heelerau, are the Australian rules for owning muzzleloaders the same as for any cartridge firearm?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 12:22:56 AM »
Bones,
               they are, except for antique muzzle loaders, that are not required to be licensed in my home state of Western Australia, unless they are to be used.  You can even import an antique muzzle loader  with out a firearms license into  this state from overseas.  These reqs vary from state to state.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:37:09 AM »
The difference to me is that not only are they fun to shoot. But something with a flint an a fullstock, an real blackpowder just has soul to it. Something you made from the heart. It becomes a part of you. Not so with the plastic stocked things of today. IMO.

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 03:37:36 AM »
I shot with an 89 year old WWII vet today.  The man has been though a lot.  Part of "The Greatest Generation".  But he seems to see the future is pretty short.  He's selling most of his "stuff" to just about anyone who seems to really have interest in it.  He wants to have a group of flintlock shooters mix up his ashes with some BP and blast him into eternity.  Come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty neat idea to me as well!

THAT, my friends, is loving the flintlock!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 03:33:37 PM »
When my good friend and mentor passed away 8 years ago, he had half of his ashes shot from a cannon that we built together. The other half went into an antique Rev. War "storage" powder horn. 
Joel Hall

Offline Molly

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 07:18:08 PM »
This is giving me ideas!!