Author Topic: Bob Roller lock make-over  (Read 5794 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Bob Roller lock make-over
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:17:25 AM »
Bob has asked me to post these images of a lock he recently made-over.  I know he'll add input, so stand by...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:20:40 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PPatch

Re: Bob Roller lock make-over
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 02:03:33 AM »
Rob Roller's de man! Beautiful.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:15:16 AM »
The pictures don't say anything about how it feels when you cock it. Tell us about that. I have handled a couple of Bob's locks.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »
Is that a rebuilt Davis Twigg? If it is, the heftier mainspring should be a lot better. Just guessing seeing there's no pic of the other side.....Fred

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
That is a pretty lock alright. For my own education, I'd also like to know what Bob started with...especially "before and after pics" if available. What did Bob's "makeover" consist of..??
Thanks for sharing.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
Taylor,
Once again,my thanks to you for the picture post and again to you and Daryl and the rest of your family,
our condolences on the loss of your mother.I had no idea about that loss and had I known I would have waited to send these two pictures.
Now,to the lock. It's an L&R small Manton using their external parts in a new undrilled plate.
These come to me with the cock,frizzen and frizzen spring installed and the frizzen is hardened.The internal mechanism is variation #5 I have come up with for this little lock.This particular lock goes to Kentucky for a small rifle for a child who is now only 4 years old ,a little girl.
There are no cast parts inside the lock and I make all of what is seen here in my shop including the screws.
It represents my every day standard of workmanship. I made a lock in the late 1970's and early 80's for a German gun shop for use on Boutet replica pistols.It was 99.9% identical to this lock and I sent around 130 of these to that shop and so far, NO reported failures of any of these parts.
I have used the Twigg which I am told will not be available to me because of parts shortages and also L&T Durs Egg and Ashmore types. I do NO Germanic syles but Chambers and L&R offer them. I also use the externals for the fine Chambers late Ketland which IMHO is the best looking lock around.
If there are any more questions,post them on the forum and I'll try to answer them.

Bob Roller

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
Taylor,
Once again,my thanks to you for the picture post and again to you and Daryl and the rest of your family,
our condolences on the loss of your mother.I had no idea about that loss and had I known I would have waited to send these two pictures.
Now,to the lock. It's an L&R small Manton using their external parts in a new undrilled plate.
These come to me with the cock,frizzen and frizzen spring installed and the frizzen is hardened.The internal mechanism is variation #5 I have come up with for this little lock.This particular lock goes to Kentucky for a small rifle for a child who is now only 4 years old ,a little girl.
There are no cast parts inside the lock and I make all of what is seen here in my shop including the screws.
It represents my every day standard of workmanship. I made a lock in the late 1970's and early 80's for a German gun shop for use on Boutet replica pistols.It was 99.9% identical to this lock and I sent around 130 of these to that shop and so far, NO reported failures of any of these parts.
I have used the Twigg which I am told will not be available to me because of parts shortages and also L&T Durs Egg and Ashmore types. I do NO Germanic syles but Chambers and L&R offer them. I also use the externals for the fine Chambers late Ketland which IMHO is the best looking lock around.
If there are any more questions,post them on the forum and I'll try to answer them.

Bob Roller

Two corrections here. One is that "L&T" should be L&R and the cock comes ASSEMBLED and NOT installed.
I should wait until after breakfast to write this stuff.

Bob Roller

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 05:50:48 PM »
Hey Bob,

Beautiful little lock.  One question.... Is it just an illusion? I don't see any room for a front lock bolt. 
Love the mainspring though.
In His grip,

Dane

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 09:39:04 PM »
Hey Bob,

Beautiful little lock.  One question.... Is it just an illusion? I don't see any room for a front lock bolt. 
Love the mainspring though.

There is no room for a front lock bolt.This mechanism is almost identical to the ones I sent to Germany for thwe Boutet project and it used one bolt. I think they relied on a really tight inletting job as their stabilizer.

Bob Roller

HEad Redneck

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Bob, I'm Mike Olson from Yakima,WA
Can,would ,do you tune locks I've got a L&R on a flint I would to have done !? Thanks Mike

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:16 AM »
Can,would ,do you tune locks I've got a L&R on a flint I would to have done !? Thanks Mike

Mike,
I do no tuneing on other makers locks. I get plates with frizzens and springs installed
and cocks assembled on the Manton/Egg and Ashmore locks from L&R and some time
the Chambers late Ketlands. I concentrate on NEW English styled mechanisms for them
and so far so good. Also at this time I am taking NO new orders for any of them.

Bob Roller

kaintuck

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 12:29:45 AM »

Mike,
I do no tuneing on other makers locks. I get plates with frizzens and springs installed
the Chambers late Ketlands. I concentrate on NEW English styled mechanisms for them
and so far so good. Also at this time I am taking NO new orders for any of them.

Bob Roller

Bob, I want a early ketland NOW...and if you DON"T send me one...i'll take out a add in your newspaper that you want some free kats......... ;D

nice work~ keep at it as long as you feel like it........I'm just in the tinker mode nowdays~dang tomtom keeps me busy cleaning up after his messes........
marc

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 04:47:40 AM »

Mike,

Kaintuck,
Cat is the other white meat and I am tired of pork and beef and salmon.
Send them on.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Bob, I want a early ketland NOW...and if you DON"T send me one...i'll take out a add in your newspaper that you want some free kats......... ;D

nice work~ keep at it as long as you feel like it........I'm just in the tinker mode nowdays~dang tomtom keeps me busy cleaning up after his messes........
marc