Author Topic: Re- application of Aquafortis  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Re- application of Aquafortis
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
First time this has happened; but I just aquafortised one of the stocks I'm working on and heated & neutralized already. But now I noticed that I have to do a bit more modeling on one of the "volutes" in an area of it's carving.

I know the fix will most likely go deep enough to get beneath the ferric oxide penetration in the wood leaving a few areas unstained.  Has anyone ever had experience re-staining a small area with aquafortis after the initial application and subsequent neutralization??...... just want to know what to expect before I try.
I probably could use a spirit stain for  this small area but figured I would throw it out to the forum to see what you guys have top say.

Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Roy S.

Re: Re- application of Aquafortis
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
Yep I have... Just need to be carefull not to scorch the surrounding area when you are bringing the one spot up to color.  You may want to slightly  blend the surrounding area a bit to somewhat avoid this problem. 

J Shingler

Re: Re- application of Aquafortis
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:32:15 AM »
I have had good luck doing touch ups like you describe. If it is a small area I heat the head of a good sized nail and use that as my heat source. Smaller and controlled placement.