Author Topic: ALL FOWLED UP  (Read 7427 times)

voyageur1688

ALL FOWLED UP
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »
 I recently bought another M/L and was thrilled with its looks and feel for the price. It looked flawless. But soon I discovered it had a few issues. The set trigger is chipped and is missing 3/4 of the tab that it locks to on the regular trigger so will need to be either fixed or replaced. But the big problem is the old buildup of powder fowling at the breech. It didn't seem like it had any when I checked it over but soon I found that it was plugged solid for at least an inch at the breech/flash hole area. I have tried everything I have on hand to get it out but it just wont come out of the flame channel between the flashhole and the bore. Any suggetions?
 Thanks Todd

Offline t.caster

Re: ALL FOWLED UP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »
Warning: that may be a load, not fowling!!! proceed with caution!!!!!
Soak it in soapy water. Can you remove the breechplug?
You can probably find a replacement for the broken trigger.
Is this a factory made rifle? They can be hard to de-breech.
Tom C.

voyageur1688

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:03:52 AM »
 T. Caster
 Yes it is a factory built rifle. It may only be a traditions .50 Penn. but it is a real nice piece for the price. I have checked it and it is not a load. I have run the cleaning rod down it and have found it to be a heave buildup of fowling.  So far I have gotten about 20 grains of it out and am now to the flame channel that is still severely plugged--its set up like iron in it and I am hoping I can do it without having to remove the breechplug, but if that is all I can do then I guess I will have to.The trigger is not a major issue and should be able to be bought, repaired or a new one made. The story with the gun is that the previous owner had used it at a shoot running rounds throught it until the shoot was done, he had taken it home cleaned the outside and started to clean the bore when he suddenly started to feel ill so he set it to the side to finish after he felt better. That was 3 years ago, and he never did feel better as his funeral was held a short time later and his widow is just now starting to deal with his old rendezvous gear and is selling it off fast. I think she sold the first of it the day before I bought the rifle and the last of it the day after.
  Todd

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:10:01 AM »
3 years without cleaning!  Might be better to just get a new barrel for this one.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

voyageur1688

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:34:28 AM »
 Maplebutcher
  I dropped a fibre optic light and lens down the bore and it was surprisingly nice where I had gotten it cleaned up. There was no pitting in it at this point and appears to be just in need of a real good cleaning of the flame channel at this point. Thinking about maybe making a long drill bit with a collar to run through the channel if nothing else works on it. At first I was heart broken when I found the problem and was figuring it would need a new barrel, but decided to give it a try anyway.-- Surprisingly it was actually nice (in fact looked almost like new other than needing to be oiled and seasoned at that point) in the bore all the way down to where the channel goes from the bore to the flash hole.
 Todd

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »
Plug the vent with a toothpick and soak the breech area overnight.  If the rifling looks good then just keep at it and the breech will eventually clean up.  I have had some brought to me that looked real bad, bores rusted and pitted, went ahead and cleanded them up cause they were "dads" gun,  sometimes it suprises you and they will shoot o/k.  and no i don't really recomend it but it has happened.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:01:29 AM »
Be patient with the old girl.    Soak, soak, scrape, scrape, soak, soak. should I go on. ???

long carabine

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
 Id take it back and get a refund. Should have bought a custom. Sometimes the good deals arn't good deals afterall. Let the buyer beware.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
 Todd - do as maple butcher and Roger suggest.  Soak, scrape, soak, scrape.  Try a good worm on a rod- once you get it started, soaking in cold water should work.  It may take a few days, but will salvage the situation. You cold try something like Hoppe's9PLUS but I'd just use water- with a touch of real soap - not detergent. I wouldn't want detergent chemicals sitting there for long periods of time.

ottawa

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »
I dont remeber seeing a caliber but you  mite try  useing a chamber brush made for the M-16 as it is 2 difrent sizes the front is like a 30cal bronze brush the back is mor 50is cal hook it to a long rod and turn it slowly to help break the stuff up do not use it on a drill mite reck the bore if the rod wobles do it by hand in a clock wise or you mite unthread it good luck nothing like finding a deal on a ML factory made or custome.

voyageur1688

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »
Long Cabine,
 Not all of us can afford to buy a custom. But if you happen to have an extra custom flintlock just laying around that your willing to sell to me for a hundred or so that just needs a good cleaning-- let me know, and I will gladly take this one back for a refund once I have the one from you in hand. Some of us are barely able to buy a used factory built in this economy. I for 1 feel grateful that I am able to even work 10 hours a week here right now unless it snows. The economy is totally shot and yet some people think that all of us can just go and spend 4 digits on a custom? I don't think so.  I do have 1 custom that I am working on and the only reason I have that one is it was priced real low due to the owner just not wanting to deal with the work involved in building it. The exterior is beautiful, the trigger is a cheap fix and the bore looks great on it so far and the only fowling remaining is in the flame channel between the bore and the flash hole. 28 grains of fowling so far-and the bore itself is great... absolutely no pitting at all... not what I was expecting.
 Todd

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 06:20:34 AM »
Voyager:  Keep at it,  the extra work will only make all that much more rewarding in the end.   Custom guns are nice but I can't afford one either  thats why I build my own.  No they are not near as nice as the ones posted but they shoot well and I enjoy shooting just as much as anybody.  Just to mention also,  More than once I have seen a "cheap" gun take the home the grand prize at a shoot.  It's the man not the machine.  I hope work improves for you,  I left my job on tuesday and am looking for a new one now.  Very scarry in these times!!

voyageur1688

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »
Maplebutcher
 Your right. It is mostly the man and not the machine. I will keep this one unless Longcarabine comes accross with a custom for the same price (which I know is not going to happen.) Even the kits are getting pricey. What ever happened to being able to buy a kit for about a hundred? Just dont see that anymore. In fact havent seen that in years.  I was told by an old rendezvouser up here last night to fill the barrel part way with BrakeKlean and let it set over night and then to do a followup with carb cleaner to soften and break loose the buildup. Do you think this will work? havent done it yet, and wont til I have more imput. The guy just came out of nowhere. Hadn't seen him in about a year and thought he was not in the area anymore. Found out that he is and was just in town for supplies and was going back to the bush. He is not comfortable with the situation we are facing as a country and decided to hit the woods instead. I hope things pick up for me with work as well. But at least I have some work and am hoping the best for you on the job front.
 Todd

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »
I think i would stick with what Daryl said and go with water or hoppes.  They will do the job and no chance of harm to the barrel. If you can get the flash hole open at all then start pouring hot water through and letting it run out the touch hole, put a patch on a jag and push the water through creating a blast effect.  Takes time but will come clean. 

voyageur1688

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 02:01:08 AM »
 Maplebutcher
 I will do that and hopefully it will do the job. The rest of it is great other than the fowling. Its amazing how nice the bore itself is. I was expecting it to be corroded and its not. Go figure--3 years since last touched and its still not rotted.
 Thanks
 Todd

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:08 AM »
Todd - I would stay away from hot water when there is hard fouling to deal with as it will glaze the surface and help prevent it's moisture absorbsion and breakup.  This is opposite to what you want.  The firm of Holland & Holland may not mean anyting to you, but they've been in this game since before the mid 1800's and state quite emphatically, not to use hot water due to it's glazing effect on hard fouling. They say to use cold or warm tap water only.  I've been doing this for all my BP guns since the late 1970's when I read their letter to a friend on cleaning his many antique double rifles after shooting them.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 03:58:32 AM »
I learn something new every day!  Thanks :)

voyageur1688

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 02:04:34 AM »
 Daryl, and all others,
 Thank you for the advice. I did the cold water and it worked. It went daster than I was expecting and worked great. Once it all came out, the gun was closely examined and was found to be in great condition. There was absolutely no corrosion or pitting anywhere--absolutely NONE!!!! I am amazed by this as I was expecting it to be at least a bit rough.This has to be a miracle for this one as there is no way it should have been that nice.
Thank you all so much.
 Todd

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 02:39:57 AM »
Daryl, and all others,
 Thank you for the advice. I did the cold water and it worked. It went faster than I was expecting and worked great. Once it all came out, the gun was closely examined and was found to be in great condition. There was absolutely no corrosion or pitting anywhere--absolutely NONE!!!! I am amazed by this as I was expecting it to be at least a bit rough.This has to be a miracle for this one as there is no way it should have been that nice.
Thank you all so much.
 Todd
We glad  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:55:41 PM by Daryl »

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:55:37 AM »
YEAH TEAM ALR!!! ;D

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
Amazing - no pitting - glad it worked.

voyageur1688

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 11:34:10 PM »
 Beyond amazing. I was at best expectng to find some heavy pitting and at worst, a wall hanger only. Strange thing is the inside of the bore is immaculate. If I hadn't been the one to do the cleaning and someone told me this one had been that fowled I would have thought they were lying to me, but it was me that found it to be clean under it all and am still in shock.
 Again, thank you too all, and keep up the great way this site works. I love it here even though I am not online as often as others are (then again if I had electricity and a computer I probably would be and would make a pest of myself) This site is the best and for the most part the members are all great. There has only been 1 that I have had a disagreement with and that seems to just be the way things go sometimes. If anyone else here feels that I have been rude in any way please let me know and I will appologize for that.
 Todd