Author Topic: Hawken stuff  (Read 86625 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Hawken stuff
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:04:56 AM »
I'm presently building a S. Hawken rifle for a very patient fellow.  As with all of my recent work, I have been documenting the work, for the pleasure of the client, and my own reference whenever I want to reminisce.  So I thought it might also be interesting for someone thinking of doing a build like this, to see how one builder goes about it.

We're talking about metal work in this case.  First, the hammer on this RE Davis percussion lock, though nicely shaped, does not bear much resemblance to any original I have seen.  But there is a lot of steel in this hammer, and a few hours with a bunch of files produced a hammer I can live with.  In addition to changing the shape of the hammer, I also milled out and 'split' the cup so that the hammer comes down further on the nipple and allows the cap to split upon firing so that it does not jam into the cup.  Here's a couple pics:

Filing away metal from the throat and back of the casting produced a hammer that appears to have a longer neck, more graceful curves, and more closely emulates Hawken's work, IMO.

The plate is also a casting, and on this one, there were a couple of voids along the bottom edge, which were quickly removed while I was dressing the cast edge of the plate's draft.  While I was at it, I polished it off too, to 220 grit.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:58:17 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

• Member 3
Re: Hawken stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:23:35 AM »
I'll break this up a bit rather than try to get it all in one post.

Next job is to cut the plate for the breech's snail.  In order to do this, I just superimposed the lock with just the tumbler, bridle and hammer attached, over the side of the barrel and breech, and marked the 'fore and aft' locations (roughly) for the snail.  Then to the vise, and with a 1/2" dia. rat tailed file, cut away the steel to create the semi-circular recess to allow the plate to fit closely to the breech.

Now, having fit the plate to the breech, and although the hammer lines up 'fore and aft' with the nipple, it does not reach far enough over to align.  The lock section of these late Hawken rifles has a taper ...the lateral section at the front of the plate is larger than it is at the tail.  Many English rifles of this period feature the same refinement.  It serves two purposes:  it narrows the wrist of the rifle, and it allows the hammer to move over to the left to better align with the nipple.  So I simply filed a taper into the bolster of the plate...about 1/32" or so - skinny at the back and as cast at the front.  Now when I lay the lock alongside the barrel, and lower the hammer, it falls perfectly onto the nipple, without having to bend the hammer.  Don't you love it when it works out!

I know what you're thinking.  Why did he file off so much of the front of the plate forward of the snail, and at such a crazy angle?  It's an illusion from the image, partially.  Setting the lock at the correct angle to align this features, brought the forward part of the bolster higher and at an angle to the centre line of the barrel.  So I filed off the forward part of the bolster, and while I was at it, I cut the bevel so that when the plate is inlet, and the lock moldings are created, they will flow out of this part of the lock plate, as many of the originals did.  You will see in the following photos that there are actually two facets there.  I still have to shorten that forward part of the bolster.  Most original rifles did not have such a protrusion of the plate forward of the snail.  These pictures following will show how everything came together.  All this represents about two hours work...file fit....file fit, etc.

Now I'm ready to inlet the lock into the wood.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:18:44 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:45:22 AM »
Hawkens are a nice looking rifle and I'm sure this one will be very nice when it's finished. I've one in .50 cal. that Salvo made. I never shoot it but I do admire it from time to time.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:21 AM »
Nice work Taylor -- I like what you have done to the hammer - looks much better ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline runastav

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
Hi Taylor, very nice do you use the hair test when asembling hehe ;)
Runar

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Great info!! Thanks for posting. I've collected parts for a lefthanded hawken ,I hope to start on NeXT spring. This is a big help.
If Your going to checker the hammer, please show us how.
Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:40:15 PM by Rolf »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
Great information and photos.
Gives me good insight on my new venture.
Thank you for taking the time to share.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
Runaskav:  hair test?

Rolf:  I almost always chequer the spur of the hammer, as it ensures a positive grip when cocking it.  So I'll photograph my process when that time comes.  If there are any other aspects of a build like this that folks would like to have me document, I'd be pleased to do so.  I love it when other builders provide a photo essay of their work.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline runastav

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
I mean the nice hairline fit you do Taylor :)
Runar

thimble rig

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 11:43:53 PM »
Awesome job Taylor.I wish thay would have had this internet stuff 40 years ago.I would love to se how you checker the hammer God bless and keep the pictures coming.

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 02:44:30 AM »
Runastav:  we try to get the same metal to metal fit we strive for in wood to metal fit.  The lock plate supports the breech's snail, absorbing energy from the hammer blow.  The mainspring in this Davis percussion lock is much too strong...so I'll be reducing it's thickness to lighten the power.  And I appreciate the compliment.

I checked out my Jim Gordon reference work on Hawken rifles, and most of Hawken's hammers had no checkering.  Several though, have cast in checkering, and one I saw may by actually cut.  I use a special chequering file I bought from Brownell's many years ago, and a safe-sided tri-square to clean up the borders.  I'll post pictures when I do the job.  I like a checkered hammer spur, so your thumb doesn't slip off the spur when your hands are frozen and the trophy of your lifetime is standing twenty yards away.
D. Taylor Sapergia

andy49

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:38 AM »
This is a great post. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Andy

Offline PPatch

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 04:50:49 AM »
This is great Taylor, thank you for posting your techniques. I will be following this thread with interest as my next project is a Hawken style 58 caliber.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 05:26:50 AM »
I find the Hawken rifle to be an interesting phenomenon.  During the late seventies and into the eighties, the Hawken was the rifle to have, owing perhaps to the Charleton Heston Brian Keith movie "The Mountain Men", and Robert Redford's " Jeremiah Johnston".  But for whatever reason, the Hawken was popular.  So much so that a friend of mine, a master gunsmith in his own right, hired me to produce a prototype from which to copy and produce a line of Hawken rifles.  We made 176 of them over the next three years, and today, they bring double to triple what Don sold them for then.  I built so many Hawken rifles, I thought I'd never want to see another one.  But that's the beauty of this great rifle...you never give up on it, and it comes back over and over again.  You cannot deny classic purity of design.  They seem to be enjoying a rejuvenation currently, and I'm happily building one after the other, again.  But I have to say, I am building at a different level, and for a different reason than i did during the 70's and 80's, and I owe that entirely to this site.  Because of the level of workmanship and attention to detail of those who regularly post here, I have automatically kicked my own work up a notch or two.  What a wonderful fuel, this site is!  Imagine where we'd be if this site and this whole concept had been around in the 70's.  A glass of scotch making supper, and a glass of red wine with it, invokes some rambling philosophy..thanks for bearing with me.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 06:01:32 AM »
Ramble on sir, a wee glass of bourbon here. The Hawken has that "it" factor in spades.

"You cannot deny classic purity of design"

Very true in every aspect of craft and art. The truly inspired creations endure and the Hawken rifle is a perfect example of that truth, the Pennsylvania longrifle in it's Golden Age another, the knife from flint to steel. Form follows function and the Hawken was the perfect embodiment and tool in its time.

What a rifle, what a form!

dave
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:03:57 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
very inspirational words Taylor and of course your work is too.You set the bar high as it should be.

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 05:03:16 PM »
...What a wonderful fuel, this site is! ...

Amen to that!

Offline little joe

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
 Taylor  Do you use parallel lock panels or tapered to the rear?

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 07:27:52 PM »
I have built them both ways, but it a great boon to reduce the thickness at the aft' end of the bolster by about 1/32", especially with 1 1/8" and larger barrels.  As I described above, it moves the hammer over to align with the nipple without having to bend the hammer, and it give the wrist the correct thickness laterally.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 02:36:47 PM »
Taylor. This will be a fantastic thread to follow. I will eagerly await every series of pictures and your words of wisdom that come with them. I will in particular be interested in how you inlet the barrel with hooked breech and tang arrangement. Which is first? Barrel or tang? Hope to see it here.

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
I would have to agree with you on the subtle lines of Hawken rifles Taylor .There is infinite variety across the years of production.
I still love Hawken style rifles the best ,especially later S.Hawken half stocks with the older straight griprail combination .When I started shooting ,Hawkens were the thing .Every one had one good bad and indifferent .I missed the Davey Crockett phase but did hit the Jeremiah Johnson craze as a teenager.
Pondering yesterday on what to take to the muzzleloading deer opener that is what I reached for naturally , not my longrifles ,not my rifle musket .

PS For checkering the hammer spur I find a jewelers saw is the easiest to control.
BTW thanks for the hammer reshaping tutorial
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:00:36 PM by stuart cee dub »

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 01:04:31 AM »
Gumboman:  it looks like I may have created a monster here.  There are plenty of DVD's and video's on this subject, and this subject is almost beyond the scope of this venue.  But I will discuss my process and add a few pictures to clarify.  I don't think I'll be doing a complete tutorial on 'Building a Hawken Rifle"!!

Your first step is to acquire or create a plan - a drawing on good paper to which you can refer throughout the build.  I use poster board or "Bristol board" I buy at the drug store.

Next, make a pattern that you can lay on the wood and trace to get your profile.  I like making them out of 1/8" lexan, so I can see the grain through the pattern, for wrist orientation, or to avoid faults in the board.  But a door skin or stiff paper can be used too.

I cut out the profile right next to the line, but someone just starting out may only want to do the forestock from the breech to the muzzle end, so that if you must go deeper, you are not committed to a stock already cut to the line.  Once the barrel is in, return to your pattern and finish drawing in the bottom lines and butt stock.

Plane the top of the barrel plane flat and square.  Measure the barrel's dimension at the breech, minus the plug, and where the barrel exits the wood at the entry pipe, in this case, since it's a half stock and the barrel has a straight taper.  This works too with a parallel barrel.  Write down these measurements right on the wood.  While you're at it, make a felt pen mark every three inches along the barrel from the breech forward, measure these dimensions and write them down on the wood.  More later.

I inlet the barrel with chisels, so I only inlet half of it (the bottom half - HA)  So I cut away the wood down to the middle line of the barrel, leaving maybe .20" for removal once the barrel is in.  What's important here, is to make sure you leave some wood at the breech end - perhaps .020" or even .062", so you'll have some clean up wood later, after the barrel and tang are in.

Draw a centre line completely around the stock.  Lay out the barrel inlet area on either side of the centre line.  Clamp a straight edge down to the top of the forestock right on the dots on the right side of the centre line, and with a sharp stiff blade, cut along the straight edge, gently at first, ensuring the blade is perpendicular to the wood, and then deeper.  Go in as deep as you dare - I go in about 3/32" - 1/8".  Now move the straight edge over to the left hand side of the centre line, and repeat.  These two cuts are the extreme layout lines of your barrel, so make sure you are not wider than your barrel.

With a flat chisel;  I use a 1/2" - cut toward the cut from the inside of the channel removing a long sliver of wood.  Again, until you get a feel for it, make your chip small at first.  A picture or two here might be useful.  These are not in order but you can get the idea.

You can deepen those cuts to almost the full depth of the side flats of the barrel - or half of the flat I should say, but don't go deeper than that.  Now, watching the orientation of the grain, use a big gouge and a mallet to remove the bulk of the wood inside the channel.  Here's where those measurements you wrote on the wood come in handy.  Use the wire end of your Vernier's Calipers to measure down into the channel, stopping the cutting with a little wood yet to remove.  How much is a little?  Depends on your experience and bravery!  I go down until I have around .025" left to take out.

And here's another thing I do to help make those measurements exact.  I divide the barrel's diameter (across the flats) by two and add the thickness of my 6" steel ruler, and right that dimension down on the wood, opposite each 3" mark along the forestock.  Now I place the steel ruler across the channel, and use the end of the Vernier's to extend the 'wire' down into the channel, to check the depth.  This puts you directly over the centre of the channel.  Notice above I told you to measure the barrel every three inches and write that down on the wood.  This step I just described that's it's place.  I hope I haven't confused you too much!

Now use a flat chisel about 3/8" wide or a little narrower, to cut the bottom flat, right down to your finished dimension.  Then cut away the angled flats with the same chisel.  I use a left and right hand skew chisel to cut the sharp breech end angle flats of the channel.  By now, you will have tried the barrel in the channel.  A transfer pigment helps spot where it is too tight or does not want to go down.  I ran out of Jarrow's inletting black, so on the last tow rifles I used a tube of lipstick I scored from my wife.  I use an old toothbrush to apply a very thin coating of the grease, lay the barrel squarely into the channel, and give it a tap with a mallet.  Cut away the colour, repeating the process until the barrel bottoms.  I made a scraper out of a worn out file by bending the last 1 1/2" over at a little more than 90 degrees  under red heat.  I ground the end to an octagonal shape and sharpened it.  It peels wood out quickly, and can get away from you, so go slowly.

It takes me about four hours, I guess, to inlet a 1 1/8" tapered barrel into a half stock of hard maple, and it's the last .010" - .015" that takes the time.  There are likely better and easier ways to do this work, but being self taught, I stick with what has worked for me 'til now.  One better, and faster method, is to send the wood and barrel to folks like Mark Wheland, David Rase, David Keck, to name a few, and they'll do an unbelievably better job that you or I can.  If you count your time as worth anything, and have already done fifty this way, you'll appreciate their services...I do.

Now the tang...
As you detective types have probably noticed, this is not the current build, but one I did a couple years ago.  I didn't document the most recent one as detailed as this old guy, but the process is the same.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:49:06 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 03:38:53 AM »
The tang:

As received, the casting require some work.  First, the standing breech tang must be fit to the plug.  Take some time to do this as best you can.  It not only indicates particular workmanship, it is very important to the accuracy potential of the rifle.  There must be as little movement in this joint as possible.  Once the two are mated, soft solder them together.  Now you can work on them as a unit.  The snail is machined to receive the nipple, but that's it!  There is precious little room to get a nipple wrench into the snail to work on the nipple...just way too much steel there.  So I fit a grinding stone into my Dremel and slowly take out the extra metal until I'm happy.  I polish it with abrasive rubber grinders...makes a nice job that allows fouling to be cleaned away easily.  Some pics...

Now that you have the breech plug fitted to the barrel and the tang soldered to the plug, you can have a look to see how far out from straight the tang lays.  Tunr the barrel upsidedown, and look along the bottom flat from the muzzle end of the barrel, and see where the end of the tang ends up. It won't be straight, in my experience.  So, it needs to be bent left or right to align with the bottom flat.  The three pin method Key Guy uses works for me.

And the tang also must be bent to follow your stock's profile, and it definitely will not as cast.  I use red heat with an oxy/acetylene torch to do this job.  When you're happy, check again for left and right...the end of the tang has to be on your centreline.  You are also going to notice that that tang is not particularly symmetrical.  You can leave it along, or file it to a more pleasing symmetry.

Once all this bending and straightening have been accomplished, file all the cast finish off and leave a nice smooth filed finish.  Be sure you've added draft to the edges, so that inletting will go predictably.

In the above shot, the barrel has been laid into the channel, and the tang is just sitting on top of the stock.  Mark around the edges of the tang with a sharp pencil, down to where the taper of the tang starts going wider rather than narrower.  It's just a matter of cutting away wood now employing super sharp chisels, inletting transfer grease, and patience,  until the breech drops down, bit by bit, into the wood.  You'll come to a point when the waist of the tang is now holding the piece from going any further down, so bit by bit, outline it and chisel the wood away.  When the transfer grease on the bottom of the breech plug hits the bottom of the barrel channel and you have inlet everything just below the surface of the wood, you are there.  Crack a beer!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:04:37 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 04:23:34 AM »
Anybody can do that! ::)
Nice work!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 02:45:52 PM »
Many thanks for the written details and the great pictures. And good job on the writing as I can comprehend it all. Mostly though, thanks for investing the time to post this great information so all lovers of the long rifle can benefit from your knowledge.

My next build is not a Hawken but it will have a hooked breech so this information will be very helpful. But I can see a Hawken will have to be added to my already long list of gun projects I want to build.