Author Topic: Another triggerguard filing jig  (Read 24068 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Another triggerguard filing jig
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:54 AM »
Seems like every time I have a triggerguard to file I need to make a new jig.  Don't know if I lose them, misplace them, donate them as a prize or loan them out but I have made more triggerguard filing jigs then I want to remember.  The good thing though is that each one gets more user friendly.  This latest on I am posting was really a down and dirty tool that only took about an hour to make from steel laying around the shop and gives me more range of motion than any others I have made in the past. 

The backbone for this jig is a 5/8" piece of solid square stock 12" long.  I measured all the guards I had on hand and none were longer than 11".  Next I made a couple of arms 5" long out of 3/8" x 1 1/4" flat bar.  There is a 33/64" hole on one end of each bar and a 3/8" hole on the other.  These are bolted to the 5/8" piece of square stock.  The two 1/2" diameter rods are 4" long and 5" long.  They each have been split for 1 1/4" down the length to accommodate clamping of the triggerguard tenons.  I used 6-32 socket head cap screws to draw the cutoff pieces of the rod together.

As you can see, the triggerguard is free to rotate 360 degrees  with no interferences.   If the piece is too high in your vise you can loosen the 3/8" bolts and lower the arms to obtain a more comfortable filing position.

The pictures should be pretty much self explanatory.  Hope you enjoy.  Now back to filing.  :D
David

WOW $15.00 for the Reeves guard, I have had that one for a while!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:00:20 AM by David Rase »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Another triggerguard filing jig
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
Better get a patent on that one Dave, that's a top notch Rase "trigger guard flipper/filer-upper" :D Bet you can also use it for a Fowler butt plate.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:12:24 AM »
David,

That is handier than pockets on a shirt.  I believe I'll have to make one!  Thanks for posting that.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 01:52:15 AM »
I'm in for the Christmas 2015 order!   ;D

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:05:18 AM »
should be titled "a better filing jig"
thanks for the post
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline KC

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
Nice post, thanks. The timing is just right, I'm getting ready to file two triggerguards. This would definitely make the job much easier.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »
 David, That is GREAT! The Best idea for one I have seen and the workmanship is Top Shelf.
 Here's an idea...send it to me so you will know where to find it next time you need it ;D

Tim C.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:43:49 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
David, That is GREAT! The Best idea for one I have seen and the workmanship is Top Shelf.
 Here's an idea...send it to me so you will know where to find it next time you need it ;D

Tim C.

Tim,
Now that I have retired, I am building more than one or two guns a year which should solve the problem of misplacing the fixture.
In fact, a couple of months ago while taking a break from the shop I mentioned to the wife that is was nice to be doing enough work to be gaining proficiency again.  
If using the tool more often does not cure the problem I will definitely consider send it your way for safe keeping.  ::)
David
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:44:28 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:02 AM »
David I would bet you could sell a few of those. Nice work!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »

Tim C.

Tim,
Now that I have retired, I am building more than one or two guns a year which should solve the problem of misplacing the fixture.
In fact, a couple of months ago while taking a break from the shop I mentioned to the wife that is was nice to be doing enough work to be gaining proficiency again.  
If using the tool more often does not cure the problem I will definitely consider send it your way for safe keeping.  ::)
David

Another thought: Since you have some time on your hands now and since you have this really neat jig that you want to get some use out of, how about I send you some trigger guards to clean up, just so it gets some use and you can keep an eye on it :D
 Seriously, I went through a pile of scrap out back and I think I have the stuff to try and put one together. Only problem is, it is so rusty it will take me a day to get all the rust off.
 Thanks again for sharing the idea.

Tim

Offline b bogart

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »
Dag gone it Tim I waas gonna come down to see when David sent you that jig, to visit and try it out. Hmmmmmmmmm

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
Dave, I would like to buy one of those now. Just let me know how much.

Offline Ben Quearry

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 11:37:38 PM »
That is a great design. I have seen a few but never took the time to build one. This one seems to be the best one yet! I'm inspired now. If you don't mind I would like to use your design and build one myself. You just can't have enough tools...