Author Topic: Beech wood for stocks  (Read 12031 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Beech wood for stocks
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
I ran across a couple Beech trees out in the woods this morning, and by the way the bark ripples there is definitely some real good curl going on in there. I Have never heard of anyone using American beech for gun stock wood and wonder if anyone here has had any experience with it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline grabenkater

Re: Beech wood for stocks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »
Beech is very common in European made guns. I do not see why American would be much different.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
I think beech is used by CVA for their products.  I think it is a pretty stable wood, especially for a gun without decorative carving.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
Hi Robby,
I am not certain but American beech may be a little softer than European.  Regardless, it is very dense and hard.  It makes good bench tops and mallet heads.  A lot is cut up here in Vermont for firewood and I split a lot of it.  I can attest to density and hardness.  I suspect it would make fine gunstocks, but boring ones.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Steve-In

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
Most of the Beech I see that would be suitable for gunstocks is hollow.  Might just be a Hoosier thing.  Coons and squirrel love them, lots of dens.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 11:01:40 PM »
I stock most of my Carolina guns in beech. Fine wood for a gunstock.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »
I think some of the american central fire company's used Beech for their more econo grade guns. It was cheaper than walnut but still made good stock wood.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »
 Beech is supposed to be a good stable wood. The only thing wrong with it is it looks like beech.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 02:31:47 PM »
Thank you fellow's, much appreciated!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
Be sure to let us know how the planks look if you end up cutting them.  As I get a little more involved in building (and hopefully a bit better at it), I find that I'm more and more interested in the trees/logs on my property.  I now go hunting and spend half my time starting at my homemade flintlock in my hands to diagnose all of the mistakes that I've made, and half my time staring around me and wondering what the log from this tree or that tree looks like. 

I'm soon taking three logs down including a nice 18" hard maple, a 16" chestnut oak (it seems to have died on its own and I can't see it going to waste) and a 20" American chestnut tree.  Yeah, it's really a native American chestnut, not a Chinese chestnut and I'm not crazy.  It's likely that only the maple will ever be made into stocks (I'm not even sure about that), but I also have hickory, ash, beech, red and white oak, some cherry and lots and lots of soft and hard maple on my property.  My goal this spring is to walk much or most of the property with a hand axe and knock a spot of wood off of each maple in search of a nice tree with some curl.  I actually found one a few years ago but it had already been dead for years and is now some spalted/curly maple that could be useful for bowl turning or other projects. 

Like I said, let us know if you cut the beech and post some photos.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
GANGGREEN, You don't have to remove any wood from the tree to see if it has curl. Just strip off a piece of bark a couple inches wide and a foot long and you will see raised welts running horizontally, their closeness to each other tells how tight the curl is. With Beech, the bark is un-furrowed, and thin, making it easier to read. No bark removal necessary.
Robby

Method 1 – Reattaching lost tree bark

If the removed tree bark is still available after the tree bark damage, gather up as much as possible and reattach it to the tree. Use tape such as duct tape  to secure the bark to the tree. Make sure that the bark is going in the right direction (the same direction it was on before it came off) on the tree, as the phloem layer can only transport nutrients in one direction. Perform this act as quickly as possible so that the bark does not die.

Method 2 – Clean cutting the wound

If the bark cannot be retrieved, say because an animal ate the bark, you will need to make sure that the damage to the tree will heal cleanly. Jagged wounds will interfere with the tree’s ability to transport nutrients so you will need to clean cut the wound. You do this by removing tree bark by cutting an oval around the circumference of the damage. The top and bottom of the wound there will be for the points of the oval. Do this as shallowly and as close to the wound as possible. Let the wound air heal. Do not use sealant.

molon labe

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »

Method 1 – Reattaching lost tree bark

Method 2 – Clean cutting the wound

Very interesting!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Robby, I was aware of that.  I've already whacked bark off of a few trees and I fully intend to spend a lot of time this spring wandering the property with axe in hand, testing for curl.  I'm really looking forward to it and hope that I score.  I found a dead tree on my property last summer that was a curly hard maple, but sadly, it had been dead for a few years.  I still cut it down and another board member milled it for me, so I have some curly/spalted boards in my barn, that may or may not end up in some project or other.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Thanks Robbie.  Axe and duct-tape!

I have a lot of Ash and Maple that I'll be testing.  Hate damaging live trees with good potential. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
Gangreen, if you have a real living American chestnut I am sure the American Chestnut foundation would like to hear about it. Please don' t cut it if it isn't already dead, you didn't say one way or the other.

The few American chestnuts that are are still living are the basis for creating a 95% highbred used in re-establishing the species.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:37:01 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 12:51:12 AM »
I don't know if all American birch is yellow birch or not, I'm certainly no tree expert, but I have seen some yellow birch stocks that not only are not plain looking, but show excellent figure.
Psalms 144

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 01:07:20 AM »
Gangreen, if you have a real living American chestnut I am sure the American Chestnut foundation would like to hear about it. Please don' t cut it if it isn't already dead, you didn't say one way or the other.

The few American chestnuts that are are still living are the basis for creating a 95% highbred used in re-establishing the species.
There around but usally display the symptoms of the blight that killed than off years ago.My Dad had one in his yard for quite a while,plenty of nuts but just looked terrible. Thing never looked heathy and would never have grown into the once tall proud trees they once where.They are crossing the heathest ones with blight resistant ones from over seas.Then breed out the over seas doner strain,not sure how many generations they are into the experiment but its said to be going well.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 01:17:10 AM »

They know about it.  They confirmed last year or the year before that it was the 2nd largest in the state of Pennsylvania at the time but they claimed that #1 was dying so mine may very well be the largest confirmed living tree in the state right now.  Sadly, it's got the blight and is dying, if it's not dead already.  What disturbed me a little bit is that I contacted the ACF many times, asking if they wanted to collect pollen or hand pollinate the tree and they always seemed less than interested. 

What's also a bit unusual is that I found a 12-13" tree just the other day while taking my flintlock for a walk.  It wasn't on my property, but it was close enough that it may have been able to pollinate mine, though I never found viable nuts on mine.  This one appears to be dying from blight as well, in fact, it may be the bastard that killed mine.   ;)

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 01:23:20 AM »
Here I am contemplating life against the big Chestnut, for those of you who have never seen one or who assume that they're extinct.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 01:28:31 AM »
Dad would grow many seedlings from his tree but they usally ended up with the blight,couple ones that looked the best he planted up around the hunting camp in Bradford county,PA.There used to be a long dead town up there called Barkley station,chestnut timber industry as well as mining was big there a long time ago.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 01:31:08 AM »
Here I am contemplating life against the big Chestnut, for those of you who have never seen one or who assume that they're extinct.

If you ever get a chance look at photos of the old timber cutting days,those trees get a lot bigger than that,damm shame

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 01:38:31 AM »
Yeah, I've seen the photos.  I suspect European chestnut probably still get quite large as well.  The American variety are so few in number and tend to die off so young that the odds of one getting gigantic are pretty slim.  That said, I'm guessing that mine is 80-100 years old (I'll know when I get the stump on the ground) and is 20" DBH (diameter at breast height).  It is a horrible shame.  They used to be so plentiful that they were used for everything, home and barn building, furniture, firewood, etc..  The nuts were taken advantage of by all kinds of wildlife and farmers would often pick them up and feed them to the pigs because they were free and extremely plentiful.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 04:17:38 AM »
 I just can't justify putting $5000.00 worth of labor into a $50.00 piece of wood.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
Never saw a live American Chestnut.  But in the 1940s i helped on one end of a large crosscut saw to bring down several old Chestnut snags around the family cabin in the mountains of Western PA.  Some of those stumps were 6 ft in diameter and I can just imagine the mast crop such trees would produce.  I have read that in wasn't unusual for the Chestnut to make up more than 70% of the forest.  They fed everything including humans.  Would dearly love to see such trees once again in the forest.  Like to see the elms back and the ash saved too. 

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:56 PM »
You aren't kidding Jerry.  It's a shame to see the forests today.  It's primarily the result of international travel and commerce because bugs, fungus and disease from overseas that our trees have never seen come to this continent and attack the native flora.  It's not just the chestnut, ash and elm either, we've got issues with our beech, hemlock, even the maple.  I'd love to see photos of those trees from the family farm that you took down with the crosscut though if you have them and I also apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread a little bit because I'm curious how those beechwood stocks look too, especially if they actually have some curl.