Author Topic: Correct lock for a Hawken?  (Read 20111 times)

Boompa

Correct lock for a Hawken?
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
  I've been wanting to put a flint Hawken together and rather than buy a kit, I've accumulated components over several months.  I have the barrel mated to the breech, tang fitted to the hook breech,  and I have a good hard maple stock.  I already had Chambers late Ketland lock.  None of the kits I looked at use the Ketland but it seems like it would be an appropriate lock, what do you think? If I use it should I file the point off the rear of the lock giving it a rounded shape?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Correct lock for a Hawken?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »
I think that lock is too small for a Hawken, but then I'm no expert.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »
Boompa
Do a search for flintlock Hawken, back in Aug 20015 Dave Rase showed a pic of a Chambers late Ketland on a Hawken he was building. It looked great to me. Be aware that the late Ketland doesn't work well on barrels over 1" across the flats without a little work.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
I agree the Late Ketland could look a little dainty but if you build the rifle around the parts instead of following a precarve stock design, and rounded the tail, I bet it could look good.  You might want to go a little more "Maryland" in style than "fully developed plains rifle" with that lock.  I'd like to hear what Don Stith, Taylor S and Louie Parker would say about lock choices for flint Hawkens.

I sure wish there were more models available for the late flint period.  I'm not a big fan of the L&R Manton completely waterproof pan.  Otherwise it's a good looking lock for an American rifle of the late flint period.  Just seems a little sophisticated and fancy to me.  That being said, I used it for a flint Hawken as there was nothing else close back then.
Andover, Vermont

thimble rig

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
I'm no expert my any means.Did you look at Taylors Hawkens hes building.Ithink he is using a l and r lock on his flintlock hes making I could be wrong.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »
While the Chambers late Ketland is a great lock, it's an earlier style than would seem appropriate for a Hawken.  As you know, there are no known existing flintlock Hawken rifles; if they had made one I would think it would have used an 1830's style lock, which typically had a double throated cock, and a waterproof pan.  The L&R flintlock mentioned that Tyler is using is closer to this style. 

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
I just looked up the name of the L&R lock - it's the 'Late English'.  I just finished a Hawken using this lock, and while I've got a couple of issues with it, it seems to be well made, balanced, and fast.  Looking to try it out this weekend. 

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
I sent you a private message Boompa.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
Boompa,
Here is a photo of the reworked Ketland lock in my Hawken fullstock.  To give you an idea of the proportions, the barrel is 1 1/16" across the flats.  I rounded the tail well into the rear of the bolster area.  I also concaved the underside a bit.  I used the lock from the Wayne Robidoux Hawken print for the lock plate profile.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:38:07 PM by David Rase »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »
Looks good. Did you finish the build and show it here?
Andover, Vermont

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
I have a project in line which is a full stock flint Hawken.  I will be using a Rice straight taper barrel (1inch at the breech tapering to 7/8 at the muzzle 36 inches in length .54 cal).  I am going to use a late Ketland with the tail rounded like I use on my TN mountain rifles.  I think it will look great and the lock is fast and reliable.
                                                                                                                  Roger Sells

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:54:21 PM »
I agree the Late Ketland could look a little dainty but if you build the rifle around the parts instead of following a precarve stock design, and rounded the tail, I bet it could look good.  You might want to go a little more "Maryland" in style than "fully developed plains rifle" with that lock.  I'd like to hear what Don Stith, Taylor S and Louie Parker would say about lock choices for flint Hawkens.

I sure wish there were more models available for the late flint period.  I'm not a big fan of the L&R Manton completely waterproof pan.  Otherwise it's a good looking lock for an American rifle of the late flint period.  Just seems a little sophisticated and fancy to me.  That being said, I used it for a flint Hawken as there was nothing else close back then.
Think Rich has a good point,this going to be a long stock or half stock?

Boompa

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »
  That looks great Dave.  The barrel I have is 15/16" across the flats with a slight taper of less than a 1/16" draw filed in.  The stock is not a precarve,(1/2 stock), just a crude shape with a narrow barrel channel and the RR hole drilled so I have opportunity to skinny the gun down a bit. I prefer Chambers locks so I'm thinking I'll go with it.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 01:19:38 AM »
Half stocks tend to be a bit more robust than long stocks,perhaps you should wait for Taylor,Don,Louie or Herb to chime in before you make your choice.

Boompa

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 02:22:01 AM »
 Joe,  I'd intended to use the late Ketland on a southern mtn rifle so if I need to buy another lock it's okay. As I mentioned in the earlier post this stock is not pre-carved, allowing me room to downsize the profile some.  I too would be interested in hearing from some of the regular Hawken builders.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 03:35:59 AM »
There is not one on the market but I'd use a Golcher lock with a reinforced cock. It would be 4 5/8 long and 1" high at the fence
 Thought I had Jim Chambers talked into making one a few years ago, but it did not happen. I had roughed out the plate sized to use the late ketland internals. I don't like the shape of the pan on the current late ketland
 That would be the perfect lock for a southern mountain rifle too
Don

Offline David Rase

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 04:06:52 AM »
Since full stock Hawken flintlock rifles are for all practical purposes non existent, I would not get too wrapped around the axle on what is historically correct and what is not.  Modern folklore has lead us to believe that an L&R late English flint lock was the lock of choice for a period Hawken flintlock rifle that does not exist in sufficient quantities to draw a conclusion.  Go ahead and use the reshaped late Ketland.  Stylistically it is as good a choice as any other late English flintlock and it is functionally superior.
David

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »
David - you didn't answer Rich's question.
???
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:04:41 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline okieboy

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 07:23:10 AM »
Don, is this the kind of lock that you would use on a full  stock Hawken if you were making one in flint?

Okieboy

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 08:26:31 AM »
Perfect!

I too believe the Chamber's Late Ketalnd lock would serve well for a flint Hawken.  Be careful to keep the lines slender, particularly the depth of the stock vertically through the lock.  David's is as good as it gets.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David Rase

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 09:18:40 AM »
David - you didn't answer Rich's question.
???
You are so right Daryl.  I have not posted pictures yet as I still have some work to do to complete the rifle. I keep letting barrel inletting, tools and fixtures and cliental's guns get in the way of my stuff.  The Hawken is next on  my list to finish.
David

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »
Don, is this the kind of lock that you would use on a full  stock Hawken if you were making one in flint?

I think that lock could be made by using the L&R replacement lock for the Dixie Tn.Mountain rifle.
I would call Jerry DeVaudreuil and get a Ketland cock with. Round the tail off on the plate.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »

I think that lock could be made by using the L&R replacement lock for the Dixie Tn.Mountain rifle.
I would call Jerry DeVaudreuil and get a Ketland cock with. Round the tail off on the plate.

Bob Roller

A few things I meant to add. One is that for the last 3 weeks I have had worst case of bronchitis
ever and still feel like the rear end of hard times. I am not taking any new work and will get to what
I have to ASAP. Between the congestion and tendonitis AND the 6 above zero weather,I have just about reached the end of the road.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 06:45:06 PM »

Bob Roller

I got a Ketland cock from the shop and it IS compatible with the L&R replacement for the DGW Mtn Rifle lock.
It is easy to reshape the plate. I don't know if the square hole in this cock will work with the existing mechanism and I always think of a complete new mechanism.The number for this cock isG167 from Jerry DeVaudreuil and the top jaw is G15. I would also use a better looking frizzen spring which is G187,a cast one
that I've used for years with no reported troubles.This cock will also work with the Chambers late Ketland but a new tumbler will have to be made or the hole in the cock welded and recut.

Bob Roller

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 08:07:55 PM »
Would an unmarked 1803 lock be even close,  *** knows nothing about Hawkens***   Tom