Author Topic: New Old Penny Knife  (Read 4208 times)

Offline 44-henry

New Old Penny Knife
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:34:22 AM »
Every once in awhile it seems like nothing goes right on a particular project. This is one of them. I started off with the intent of making one of my standard style penny knifes with a cherry handle and milk paint finish and all was going well up till I started to rivet the blade in the handle, long story short the handle tang split and in my frustration I might have accidentally flung the knife into the wall of my shop. Anyways, after I recovered I realized that I while the split could have easily been repaired, the damage to the rest of the handle caused by its sudden stop against the wall, was going to be a bit more difficult to fix. So, not wanting to concede defeat I decided to see what more I could do with it. Though I will admit that it was fun to do, it actually took considerably more time to do than it would have taken to just build a new one from scratch. Still, it is a perfectly functional knife that will probably live out the rest of its days in my possibles bag. Thanks for looking.

When things are going a bit better for me this is what they normally come out looking like.

Online smylee grouch

Re: New Old Penny Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:57:25 AM »
I like them both Alex. If you make another and want to throw it, I'm straight NW of you,45 miles.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 06:29:35 AM »
I like it. It came out alright.

Steve
Steve Skillman

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
That turned out pretty good.Has a kinda antique look to it.I like those penny knives

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:55 PM »
Yeah, I like it!  Just like all the folks intentionally aging their longrifles and producing amazing art, I think the unintentional split, followed by the "might have accidentally flung the knife into the wall"  :D worked out pretty well in the end.
Jerry

Offline halfstock

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 02:15:01 AM »
Of course a penny knife then might be a $5.00 knife now.