Author Topic: Cutting Inlays  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Cutting Inlays
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
  Does anybody have any tips on cutting out matching inlays? I need to make six all the same size and shape. One at a time is the way I have been making them as needed or for two or more I have glued two pieces together to cut and file two the same out then bevel the edges before separating them,  That is how  was going to do the six but I just wondered if there is a better/easier way.  They have 7 angles to each to add to the fun and are about 3/4 X 1/2".

Tim C.

northmn

Re: Cutting Inlays
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »
Make a jig or whatever and clamp them in a vise and finsih filing them all together.  I use a padded jaw vise and finish filing them.  While I have not done six I  will be doing 2 matching inlays that way.  I put to you that if you do three at a time and put the three on one side and the the other three matched ones on the other side that as long as all 6 or the two sets are close it would be hard to tell any differences. 

DP

Evil Monkey

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »
Make one out of high carbon (like O-1, W-1, 1070, 1095, that sort of thing) steel then harden it. Then glue your brass/silver to it and file out your inlay and file it out. The hardened steel will not file and you will have six perfect matching inlays AND a pattern should you want to use this inlay in the future.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
I like the 3 and 3 idea. Put a drop of super glue between them before filing to the final shap to make them easier to handle. A little heat and they'll pop right apart.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »
  Thanks for the ideas. I like the harden pattern idea but I will not use the pattern
again so I think I will try the three approach since I usually do two. Now off to sacrifice a few saw blades.

Tim C.