Author Topic: Post your Favorite Lube Here  (Read 29858 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Post your Favorite Lube Here
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »
Lube ::)   Hmm - Betternot!! ;)

Serious- Spit/warm bear grease/cold (very)!

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 04:00:22 AM »
The urine of a three year old goat fed only ferns for three days was once considered an excellent quench, heat treating steel. Might be worth a try on patches.

Just dont' forget and put them in your mouth - spitty, spitty

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
C.Cash - my sentiments exactly.  For hunting, I'll use Hoppe's 9 Plus or most likely mink oil.  When changing lubes, be aware that the point of impact will also most likely change too. This happens less often with 'bore' rifles, ie; 16 and larger, maybe even 20's could be included.

As to accuracy with any lube, one must choose a lube THEN work up a load with it.  For expample, in my rifles, spit patched loads shoot to a different point of impact and give different accuracy than the same charge with any other lube.  Less powder will shoot well with spit than with one of the oils or greases - has to do with lubricity I'd think.   To shoot LHV takes a LOT of powder in my rifles. Less powder shoots well with Hoppe's and less yet for spit.  Mink oil, a grease, shoots similar to LHV in point of impact.  These point of impact changes are left or right as well as up and down. One must shoot paper to find out what's happening. Changing lubes and not changing loads develops 'also-rans'- and wounded game.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
C.Cash - my sentiments exactly.  For hunting, I'll use Hoppe's 9 Plus or most likely mink oil.  When changing lubes, be aware that the point of impact will also most likely change too. This happens less often with 'bore' rifles, ie; 16 and larger, maybe even 20's could be included.

As to accuracy with any lube, one must choose a lube THEN work up a load with it.  For expample, in my rifles, spit patched loads shoot to a different point of impact and give different accuracy than the same charge with any other lube.  Less powder will shoot well with spit than with one of the oils or greases - has to do with lubricity I'd think.   To shoot LHV takes a LOT of powder in my rifles. Less powder shoots well with Hoppe's and less yet for spit.  Mink oil, a grease, shoots similar to LHV in point of impact.  These point of impact changes are left or right as well as up and down. One must shoot paper to find out what's happening. Changing lubes and not changing loads develops 'also-rans'- and wounded game.
Kinda like women I guess, find one that 'works' and stick with her/it!  So don't be fixing stuff if it 'ain't' broken! ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
 :o  A lot of good info has been posted on this thread; enough to alter my thinking, a bit.  I think I'll stick to what I've been using and try out some of the simple oils & greases recommended.  I'll avoid the exotic, the household agents and unfamiliar concoctions.   :-\
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 05:45:58 AM »
KentuckY Jelly in my Kentucky built rifle. ::)

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
 :o  You are a really baaaaad boy!

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
I've wondered it that stuff would work as a patch lube - his or her's - maybe it depends on the rifles? :D Everything under .58 gets her's. ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:23:25 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »

You guys have just gone where Angels fear to tread! ::)

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
 :o  This here barrel ain't shooting no more.   ::) ::)

Daryl

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
I was quite serious about the generic product, guys, not the 'other' stuff.  It's VERY slippery, water soluble and would probably work well- could be mixed into a 'cream' or even more liquid using plain water, I think. Never tried, but it has merit as a patch lube for target work.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:37:42 PM by Daryl »

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
 8)  Water based & water lubes work very well.  Don't see why not.  Ain't it a mite 'spensive?

Daryl

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
I don't how much it costs - ask LB.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
  OK,I'm spooked about the 'soap' think. At work,the millrights use a lube called Start-up lube.It's water based food grade stuff that's very slippery.Will check the MSDS on it Monday. Besides spit and Lehigh Valley,what's the best liquid type to use?  KY? Isn't that a petroleum derivative? Be interested to know what mad monk uses. Have access to Tall Oil also but it really stinks. Saponify,gotta look that word up...and what about Dr. Bronner's castile soap?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:14:11 PM by Leatherbelly »

William Worth

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:39 PM »
I tried Dr. Bronner's in solution as patch lube (peppermint).  I don't recall exactly why, but I gave it up.  Seems like accuracy was becoming more erratic and loading was getting more difficult with each successive shot. 

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »
Since my goat ran away I've switched to Old Swamp Hunter Co. shooting paste.

Quite unlike WonderLube1000, OSH is slippery & actually appears to lubricate my patches. Kinda nice being able to push the ball all the way down one of these confounded modern shallow groove (0.006", maybe) barrels.

Anyone else have experience w Old Swamp Hunter? 

Daryl

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »
Question please, what is Sweet Oil?

William Worth

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »

Olive Oil, probably has something to do with the old "Pop-Eye" the sailer man series.  But I think that's Olive-Oyl?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:04:38 PM by William Worth »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
Searching for "sweet oil" on google, says it is any of the edible vegetable oils, such as olive oil. Couple'a guys I shoot with swear by canola oil for patch lube, specificly canola and not olive. Haven't used either myself.

I, too, have seen the term "sweet oil" used in some of the older books on muzzle loading rifles. Don't recall just where.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »
Searching for "sweet oil" on google, says it is any of the edible vegetable oils, such as olive oil. Couple'a guys I shoot with swear by canola oil for patch lube, specificly canola and not olive. Haven't used either myself.

I, too, have seen the term "sweet oil" used in some of the older books on muzzle loading rifles. Don't recall just where.
Cooling my heels in the local pharmacy waiting for the mixing of my shingles shot I'm looking over the fish oil cranberry etc etc and a do recall seeing a bottle of such sweet oil.  So I assume you can buy it in your local drug store.   I never used it.

Offline BJH

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 12:02:55 AM »
I use Sinple Green detergent for both a bore cleaner and a patch lube for target and plinking.  As for hunting I use olive oil aka sweet oil.  There is a fellow at our club who uses Simple Green along with his teflon patching too.  BJH
BJH

voyageur1688

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 12:53:38 AM »
   I used to use bear grease with bees wax but have since switched over to "sweet oil". I have tried canola and it was OK but not what I wanted, so went with what I found out was the traditional sweetoil----olive oil. I am now using the extra virgin olive oil and swear by it. The gun shoots great, is not ofensive to the nose, and cleans up easier than any others I have tried. Once the bore has been "seasoned" from using it, the bore cleans so much faster than any others I have tried and will stick with it. I do some shoots at rendezvous and or hunting and it seems to work well in all the weather conditions I have used it in, including temps well below zero. Tried deer tallow but it seemed to allow fouling sooner than what I considered acceptable.
 Todd

Daryl

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 02:52:56 AM »
Olive Oil worked exceptionally well, mixed to a fairly soft paste lube using beeswax as the 'heavy'. I used this 'mix' for some REAL bullet tests in the Musketoon - about 20 shots (no leading) & up to 100gr. 2F, then bent back to using .575" and .015" patches, then .562's with .022" patches lubed with Hoppe's 9 Plus -  never having to wipe at any time & used up to 120gr. 2F with the patched round balls.  I went through a lot of shots that day and the fouling never built in the least, so I figure the olive oil and beeswax was working well with the bullets.  An even thinner lube of olive oil/beeswax might be tried for patches come summer.  I've still got about 15 + pounds of 'best' quality, once filtered beeswax - smells good enough to eat and my wife buys the Extra Virgin Olive oil for me(to cook with ;D).

quigleysharps4570

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »

My ole mother use to put sweet oil in us kid's ears when we had an ear ache.
Guess it's just a refined olive oil.

stoat

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 03:17:47 AM »
Used to use spit. Now, use Fantastic.