Author Topic: Template for marking wedge holes.  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Template for marking wedge holes.
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:01:56 AM »
I got tired of measuring out each wedge hole in preparation to cutting them on the forestock.  So a template seemed in order.  Here is my system.  First I locate the bottom of the wedge hole and mark it on the exterior with one of the depth gauges another member makes. 

Using a couple of the depth gauge marks a lower line is drawn along with a vertical through the center of the wedge hole.

Then the template, cut out of a piece of material a lot like circuit board, is overlayed.  It has the center rectangle to mark through with an exacto blade.  The circular holes provide sight windows for aligning the horizontal with the bottom edge of the desired wedge hole.  The index marks are cut in with an exacto and filled with a Sharpie.  Made the template large enough to clamp it to the stock leaving enough room for me to work between the clamps.  The notches are just so I know which way is up on the template. 
RL]

May be some better solutions but this one seems to work pretty quickly for me using the depth gauge, small machinest square to get the vertical center of the lug position and the template.  Hope it helps someone else who struggles getting these holes marked.  The template could obviously made from several different materials but I had this laying around and it is durable plus easy to work. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:35:53 AM by rich pierce »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Template for marking wedge holes.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:41 AM »
Jerry,

Clever template.  That material you are using is called "G-10" and it is the same fiberglass material circuit boards are made of.  I use it for all sorts of things and make templates out of both G-10 and thin brass sheet.

Thanks for the post.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780