Author Topic: Blacksmith Tongs  (Read 6769 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Blacksmith Tongs
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:34:22 AM »
Here is an interesting pair of original blacksmith made tongs I picked up the other day. They feature compound leverage with adjustable jaws and are locking, (note ring and hook at end of reins). Early inspiration for vise grip pliers?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Re: Blacksmith Tongs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »
The picture didn't load, oops.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:34:42 AM by rich pierce »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
Very cool!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 07:16:55 AM »
Early inspiration for vise grip pliers?
What Ive always been led to believe. I read a few articles on this subject when Irwin took the manufacturing to China bout ten years ago. Tong rings or a similar device are nothing new in the blacksmith world, greatly eases stress on the hands, wrists.  Heres a method I use when I`m making tongs that I want to lock, A hook on one rein and small fuller on other. Tongs are shaped to hold the tool/ work etc, amazingly good grip can be had.... Old (really old) tongs can also be a good source for WI 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:35:02 AM by rich pierce »

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
K, I have a few rings of different sizes for locking down reins but often they are hard to locate. The permanent ring is better. I pick up usable old tongs when I find them reasonable. After I made my first set I realized what a bargain the used ones are. I reshape them and repair as needed.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:33:49 AM »
David, you said
but often they are hard to locate

Do you mean while you are holding on to something that really should be watched, as opposed to looking around your feet and patting pockets.. ;)  I seem to be an expert at that. Interesting old tongs, My guess on their use is for gripping flat material of varied thickness. My area has been gleaned pretty well of these kinds of tools, but I still keep my eyes open for the odd gem  also.... 

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
I stay very busy, half my time I spend hiding my stuff, the other half looking for it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA