Author Topic: cast pewter end cap  (Read 4092 times)

chuck c.

cast pewter end cap
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:17:44 AM »
I just did a search of the old site for information on pouring a cast pewter end cap and didn't come up with much. I'm getting the material together at this time for a new build and would like to pour an end cap like those done really well by Ken Guy, AKA "packdog". Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline RobertS

Re: cast pewter end cap
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:49 AM »
If you will go to the old site, www.americanlongrfiles.com , and do a search on "pewter" in the gunbuilding forum, and be sure to check the box marked "show archived messages", I think, you will get lots of information about it.  There is a wealth of information there, which I think will eventually moved over to the new www.americanlongrifles.org site.  Good Luck!

chuck c.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:19:23 AM »
Your right! I was putting in cast pewter end cap and wasn't getting anything worthwhile. Thanks

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 03:36:45 PM »
Hi Chuck.  Thanks for the kind words.  After you dig through all the info on the other board.  Fire away with any questions you might have.  There's several guys on this board that have poured lots of pewter end caps.  That translats to we screwed up a lot of ways.
There are a couple of things that I think really make a difference when pouring a end cap.
1) Color in all the inlet with a #2 pencil.  The graphite helps the pewter flow.
2) A hot bolt dropped into the barrel will preheat the barrel and help keep the pewter from chilling off against the metal of the barrel.  That is, If you make your pour with the barrel in place.
3) fill every hole or gap with modeling clay.  Assume you will have a leak or spill and it will eventually save you some grief.  It is beyond me why the hardest part of of pouring pewter is getting it to flow into small cracks and crevices.  Spill a little or have it leak out and it will automatically find every small crack and crevice and flow in on its own.  Pewter holding a barrel lug in or down your ram rod hole will ruin a Sat.   >:(

Oh, one more thing. wear a face shield and gloves.  Any moisture and the pewter will bubble and pop.  HOT stuff.
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

northmn

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »
Just poured on with little problem out of 50/50 solder.  Wish I would have read about the modeling clay to plug holes as it would have made for less rasping.

DP