Author Topic: Ivory Inlay Rifle  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Ivory Inlay Rifle
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:23:38 AM »
Hey everyone.

I just wanted to ask a qucik question.  In all of your worldly travels looking for firelocks, have any of you ever run across a Virginia style rifle with an ivory oval inlet into the cheekpiece and if I remember correctly there was either a dogwood bloom carved around the tang or engraved on the trigger guard.

Thanks in advance

Coryjoe

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Ivory Inlay Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
Coryjoe, the only ivory I have ever seen inlayed into antique weaponry has been on European work. I have never seen the Virginia rifle you mention, but what may be perceived as ivory may well be bone. Bone for inlays was sometimes used on southern longrifles and is what I call poor mans ivory.  :)
Joel Hall

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »
No it was ivory, I know the guy who made it.  I have seen what you are talking about though, with bone or an antler cross cut.  It also may not really be a Virginia, it might be more of a Lancaster style.  It also was Iron mounted, I remember that much, and cherry.

Coryjoe

PGosnell

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:58:48 AM »
When you state that you know the guy, I am assuming that you mean that you met him and this is a contemporary piece that you are desriibing.  If so, I'll name my favorite contemporary piece that included ivory.

John Bivins - pictured in Bob Weil's "Contemporary Makers of Muzzle Loading Firearms" p. 29

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:46:24 PM by PGosnell »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
Yeah it is a contemporary piece.  I am sorry if I forgot to mention.  It is a friend of a friend kind of tale and I would love to at least know where it is, if any one has seen it.  Last I heard it was in WV. 

I have not seen the book you mentioned but will need to look into it, sounds like great stuff. 

Coryjoe