Author Topic: Neat old Patchbox  (Read 5652 times)

54ball

Neat old Patchbox
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:08:43 PM by Ky-Flinter »

thimble rig

Re: Neat old Patchbox
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
That is an awesome design right there.I really like that a lot.Where did you find that ?

Offline gwill

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
Very cool patchbox.  Thank you for posting it.  Any chance we could see pictures of the rest of the rifle? 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »
The Battle of Horseshoe Bend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Horseshoe_Bend_(1814)

Interesting, great patchbox, thanks 54ball.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »
54ball,

I’d like to see the rest of the rifle, too, and hear more about it.

I can read the entire inscription except the name of the recipient. Can anybody make it out?

Thanks, PPatch for the link to the battle info. It makes me sympathetic with the Oklahoma Native Americans (many frequently call themselves “Indians”) who won’t accept $20 bills because of whose picture is on them!

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

54ball

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
 All I'm going to say is the Wiki Link is full of  anti U.S."Revisionist History" chocked with half truths. As you know, half the truth presented as fact or the "whole story" makes a lie.

My 5th G Grandfather was a Surgeon in Col. Morgan's Cherokee Regiment. I'll be glad to talk about the details of the battle, the significance and aftermath of it in OTBF.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 07:41:22 PM »

I’d like to see the rest of the rifle, too, and hear more about it.

I can read the entire inscription except the name of the recipient. Can anybody make it out?

The rifle was presented to a Cherokee leader known as "the Whale" who was an ally of U.S. forces in the battle.
Jerry

Offline art riser

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 08:10:19 PM »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

54ball

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
 The name on the Patchbox is for the Cherokee Warrior named "Whale". Whale earned his name by swimming the swift Tallapoosa to retrieve canoes enabling Creek and Cherokee warriors under Gen Coffee to attack the Redstick position from the rear.
 The Cherokees and Creeks crossed without orders. This was during the two hour artillery barrage by Jacksons small guns which was having little effect on the Redstick Fortification. Once Jackson realized the Redsicks were being attack from the rear , he ordered a full frontal assault.

it is said Jackson's Creek and Cherokee Allies turned the battle by their actions.

This is a rifle, by reports, was commissioned by President Madison to honor Whale for his Valor at the Horseshoe. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:14:01 PM by Ky-Flinter »

oakridge

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 06:17:09 AM »
I assume we don't know who made this rifle.

54ball

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 06:32:40 AM »
 There is no signature. There may have been one but it's unreadable.

A ranger told me years ago that some research suggested it may have been made at Harper's Ferry. It's possible that some work too it may have been done there, being it was a Govt. commissioned rifle, but that's supposition. This grand old rifle raises a lot of questions. Could it be an Indian trade piece like a Derringer or Henry with special work?

BTW it's trimmed in silver....real silver.