Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 3178 times)

swordmanjohn

Will this work?
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:02:59 AM »
I have a smoothbore with a handle crack so i drilled 6, 1/4 inch holes and injected wood glue and tapped in hard wood dowls. I then cut them flush and sanded smooth and refinnished. My question is will this type of repair hold.
Its a 69 caliber smooth.  :-\

swordmanjohn

Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »
I have a smoothbore with a handle crack so i drilled 6, 1/4 inch holes and injected wood glue and tapped in hard wood dowls. I then cut them flush and sanded smooth and refinnished. My question is will this type of repair hold.
                                                                                                                                                                        heres a picture       http://i42.tinypic.com/169oya0.jpg

swordmanjohn

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
That should hold but I usually try to do repairs that are invisible.  When gluing a crack the secret is to get the crack full of glue and clamped tight.  I'm sure that when you pounded in the plugs it forced lots of glue into the crack, whether it closed the crack can't be told from your photos.

Tom

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
Crack repair starts with checking to see if it will close completely. If so then carefully wax to stock to within about 1/8" of the crack. The spread the crack if possible and apply something like Elmers Carpenter Gule or Tite-bond etc into the crack. Hypodermic syringe and blunted needles are great for this. Once you have enough glue in clamp it shut. I like surgical tubing for this. About a 3-4 foot piece will squeeze a wrist shut. Wrap it on pretty snug as many wraps as you can stretching the tube a little as you wrap.
But this stuff can bend or break things so don't wrap over trigger guard bows/rails etc. Also go easy around lock mortises.

If the crack will not spread at all you may have to drill into the crack from a hidden spot and inject glue like that. Small holes, just bigger than the needle.
Let to glue set over night. Now remove the tubing and clean up.
Drill from the tang mortise to about 2-3" past the crack with a 1/2 to 5/16" drill (get and extended length drill), down the length of the wrist. Now make a piece of *degreased* and roughened  1/4" piano wire to a length that just fits the hole or a little short.
Mix a batch of Brownells Acra-Glas (not the "Gel") and pour some in the hole, the rod should force some out when its put in.
Did I say wax (paste floor wax) anything the Acra-glas will touch that you do not want glued?
Wipe off or scrape out any excess in the *WAXED* tang and barrel inlet before it hardens. Now allow to set over night and you should have a nearly invisible permanent fix that at least as strong as the wrist originally was.
So far as you pins showing in the current repair, cover them with a brass or steel plate.
Dan.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »

Using a good quality (appropriate) glue would probably have been enough to fix the crack permanently.