Author Topic: less than amateur blacksmith question  (Read 2319 times)

billd

less than amateur blacksmith question
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:54 AM »
I have a steel trigger guard, it's one of Dennis Glazener's. I want to stretch the area between the trigger loop and the finger loop behind it. About 1/4". I am a machinist by trade, but never tried any forming at all. To me blacksmithing was some kind of magical procedure I never understood or had the chance to learn.

Is this something a beginner can do with a acetylene torch? Could someone give me the basics?

Another option I thought about is welding a piece in. I have a good mig welder. Would this be safer for a learner?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: less than amateur blacksmith question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:33 AM »
I would opt for cutting the grip rail and welding in a piece to lengthen it.  I think if you tried to stretch it that much you would end up with a thin spot.  I think adding a piece is safer, regardless of rather you are a beginner or not.  My 2 cents worth.
DMR

Tony Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:44:51 AM »
It's difficult to advise what to do without looking at the guard, as far as stretching the grip rail a bit. There may not be enough material to work with.
I would opt for welding a piece in, or just getting a different guard. I can make any kind of forged mounts that you could imagine, if you want something different just let me know. Regards, T. Clark

billd

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 05:07:18 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  I'll weld a piece in Saturday.

Tony, It's too late for this gun but I'll keep you in mind for my next one.  Could you send me a PM with app. what it would cost for a forged trigger guard and butt plate.  I have something in mind that I want to be a one of a kind.  Any pictures of your work? Where are you from?

Bill