Author Topic: gun pictures  (Read 14711 times)

Pratt

Re: gun pictures
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 07:35:22 PM »
Thanks guys, I am glad you all are enjoying the pictures. Bill, man I think you just became the official spokesman for this rifle, let me know what the charges are and I'll see what I can work out out with the owner. It sometimes takes me as long to explain what I have built as it takes me to build it .

Greg, you want to submerge it, I use the same piece of gutter that I use for boiling them. You want to clean out and grease your bore heavy. If you are using a vent liner that must be filed flush, go ahead and install it, then you point up a piece of soft copper wire and drive it into the flash hole, and I put a little drop of varnish on it. If you are using a different type liner, just wait to install it until after the metal finish is done
  Make a wood plug that you can knock into the bore at the muzzle, good and tight, then brush a little varnish on it right where it seals, also some at the breech plug threads after putting the breech plug in tight. Now she should be sealed up. Credit where credit is due, I didn't invent all this, I learned it from Hershel House .   

After you put it in the vat, if you see many bubbles get it out in a hurry or your bore may also have a nice aged look to it and develop the ability to shoot around corners                                                                                                                               

Offline t.caster

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
Better late than never. VERY COOL RIFLE!!!!!!!!!
Tom C.

JKL

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
Ian,
A very handsome rifle indeed!  I especially like how you finished the wood and metal.  Thanks for the pics and for bringing it to the class for us to see at various stages.  Inspiring work.

John