Author Topic: Old Rasps (photos added)  (Read 11307 times)

BartSr

Old Rasps (photos added)
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:06:31 AM »
I had a useless rasp that would not cut anything, dull.  I wanted to use it on stocks for quick wood removal.
So I gently layed it down on my large belt sander and took the tops off of the rasp tips.  This gave me a sort of new rasp that made small flat areas in the wood instead of round notchy stripes. Works great.

BartSr

(photos added later)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:24:59 PM by BartSr »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Old Rasps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »
Good to know Bart. I sent some rasps off to Boggs for sharpening but they were beyond sharpening so I'll give your "trick" a try ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Old Rasps (photos added)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:36:04 PM »
I like the handle.
Mike Lee

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »
Could you use the acid sharpening method like is used on some files?
Jerry Dickerson

Dave Patterson

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:23:15 PM »
BartSr:  that, sir, is pretty doggone ingenious, and makes perfect sense!  Thanks for the tip.

Could you use the acid sharpening method like is used on some files?

Even with all the previous posts about sharpening or re-purposing old files and rasps, it had never even occurred to me until seeing this question:

many (not "all", but many) horseshoeing/farrier/blacksmith supply stores offer rasp and file sharpening services.  Some are better than others, and of some of those "better" sharpening services, some are downright outstanding.  In my experience, most seemed to use an acid-bath process.

Back when I was a perfeshunal horse-crippler, I'd only buy premium quality hoof rasps, files, etc... then promptly send the brand-new, unused rasps off to be sharpened, and the difference between a brand-new rasp, as shipped, and a brand-new rasp, sharpened, was extremely obvious.  As it was explained to me, many (if not all) file and rasp manufacturers are a bit hesitant to put an extreme edge on their tools, due to possible liability.  (Anyone who's ever accidently run a brand new rasp over their offhand thumb knuckle, or let one slip through their gripping hand, can easily imagine where some of today's over-sensitive, litigiously-inclined folks might find a sharp tool to be an easy way to an early retirement.)

Anywho:  a good local shoeing supply store just might be another answer to the boxes of old dull files we all seem to collect.

BartSr

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »
BartSr:  that, sir, is pretty doggone ingenious, and makes perfect sense!  Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome.  And I use that rasp and it's larger brother on every stock.

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 01:17:14 AM »
Is that a Titlist or a Ben Hogan?

BartSr

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
Is that a Titlist or a Ben Hogan?
Dunno, "found" most likely.  I used to live on a golf course, Rock Creek Oregon, middle of the ninth.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 04:03:17 AM »
I use the fiberglass Dremil cut off wheels to do that.  Also little diamond Dremil cylindrical cutters will get in front of the teeth and give a very aggressive angle. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:37:48 PM »
Corn cobs make decent handles as well.   

Offline heelerau

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
Those old shoeing rasps can be made into a good knife. Nice trick, I will try it as well.

cheers
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
Most farriers rasps are not high carbon steel. They are surface hardened, which would make them unsuitable for making a high quality cutting tool.

Hungry Horse

Black Hand

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
Most farriers rasps are not high carbon steel. They are surface hardened, which would make them unsuitable for making a high quality cutting tool.

Hungry Horse
I have 4 knives I made from farrier's rasps that disagree with this. Now, this may very well apply to ones available today, but dismissing them out of hand is problematic. Do a spark test https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:09:53 PM by Black Hand »