Author Topic: MORE- MORE pictures of the "masterpiece" rifle!  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
MORE- MORE pictures of the "masterpiece" rifle!
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:31:17 AM »
Guys,  here are some more pictures of the masterpiece rifle which got over looked when I posted the first ones a few days ago. Soon I will post some pics. of the accessories and some close ups of the case.              Hugh Toenjes

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:18:24 AM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

longrifle

Re: More pictures of the "masterpiece" rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »
Beautiful work !!!  ;)

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 03:30:58 AM »
 Stunning!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »
Leatherbelly got it right.
Might add "humbling".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:47 AM »
Nice looking gun, Hugh. Clean, crisp, shapely.

.....ever consider building a Kuntz rifle?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: MORE- MORE pictures of the "masterpiece" rifle!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »
As yet there has not been one comment on the #"300".   No it is NOT the number of guns that I've made!  But what it has to do with is something called "Kentucky windage".  The period that this rifle represents we did not see adjustable rear sights for elevation on Longrifles yet. That was a later innovation.  So what the shooter would do when taking a long shot -- 300yds. was to drop the breech whilst keeping the front sight on the target. This would disengage the rear sight from the front sight but not from use altogether. The shooter would pick a spot on the top of the barrel about 1/2 way to the front sight and place the top of the rear sight on that spot an squeeze off. That is called "Kentucky windage". This gold oval # 300 is that reference point! ;)            Hugh Toenjes
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:53:22 PM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »
Hi, Hugh.  Haven't spoken to you since you lived in BC.  Most interested about your #300/Kentucky windage story.  First, why call it windage?  It has nothing to do with windage at all.  It is a elevation mark.  Elevation goes up and down, windage, left and right.  Second, where can I read up on your reported story in a period document, or is this just oral history? 

While on the subject, what kind of groups can you shoot at 300 yards using your gold dot?  My friends (I actually have some) don't do too well with shot groups at 300 yards with flints when we call them to a challenge at the local range, and they are mostly former National Match competitors.  Furthermore, I've handled a few real Pennsylvania rifles in my time, and never have I seen a gold elevation reference dot down the barrel. 

I also tend to agree with Don Getz.  To my eye,  the addition of extra metal to the frizzen ends up looking out of place.  You can achieve good positive ignition without it.  My guns get used a lot and I never had one returned because it wasn't throwing sparks. 

No offense intended.  Just a builder of traditional  hunting guns reporting to another builder about what he sees.  Your work is attractive; I just don't see nontraditional appendages as complementary to the overall package.  Regardless, your piece is a nice 21st century specimen.  Cordially, JWH

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »
As to shooting at 300 yards with muzzleloading rifles, both Taylor and I used to do that a lot at the old Squamish range in BC.  Our guns were elevated as Hugh indicated. With Taylor's .62 Hawken, the wear spot from leaning on the bench when loading, gave him the perfect line to align the top of the rear sight, placing the blade on the intended target.  The aiming point was elevated slightly, about 30 degrees above horizontal with the rock face 325 yards from the firing line- hense a guess at 300 yards. We consitantly were able to smack a 12" to 14" diameter rock, offhand using a variety of guns, Taylor's .62, my .50 and my wifes .36 (not round ball) as well as my 'Duty' 4" M29 - but that's another story. Mind you, the muzzleloaders were cap guns, but I expect with descent charges, Taylor's Flint Virginia would do as well - if he was shooting it.

Having a 'mark' on the barrel as Hugh indicated on this rifle, is an amazing aide in shooting long range.  It's value in long range shooting is out of proportion to mere 'opinion' of it's worth.