Author Topic: Lock Strips  (Read 4666 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Lock Strips
« on: July 20, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
Have had a lock torn apart forever. Together Witch way does it go.  It Just isn't looking right and I have broke them before. In fact the claw of the tumbler broke. Witch started this hole mess.
David Veith
David Veith

Birddog6

Re: Lock Strips
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »
What lock is it ?   Possibly I have a photo I can post for you go by.   Sounds like a L&R and the lil Link that connects the tumbler to the mainspring ?  It is S shaped & on a RH lock it goes in looking like a S.  On a LH lock it would look like a backwards S.   On each end of the link you have the ? barrel I will call it,  that latches to the mainspring & the other end to the tumbler.  The thickest barrel goes on the  Bottom.  If you put the link in upside down or reversed, good chance you will break the tumbler or the link.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:46:12 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »
David, have you got a Track of the wolf catalog? They have full size photos of locks, inside and out.

You really must use a mainspring vise to compress the main spring before installing. Get one if you don't have it.

It sounds like you need a new tumbler.

Sorry for your troubles.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
Birddog nailed it if it is an L&R lock with the stirrup link between mainspring and tumbler.  If you bust the tip of the tumbler, you need a new one for sure.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 09:33:25 PM »
Ya It is a L&R.  I Am starting not to like it. Between the poor fit and the headaches I have had with it. The replacement tumbler has some problems.
Thanks
David
David Veith

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »
Well, it ain't just you....   :(  Every single one I ever worked on was a major PITA.  Probably just you & me.......  ha ha ha !   ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
Well, it ain't just you....   :(  Every single one I ever worked on was a major PITA.  Probably just you & me.......  ha ha ha !   ;D
I gotta tell ya I learned more about the innards of the L&R Durs Egg than I ever cared to know!!   

A tip - I do this = I have an illustration/drawing of the link on my bench that I refer to so be certain that I don't try putting that link in bass ackwards!!  If you look closely you will notice one barrel is thicker than the other...!