Author Topic: Hammer forging/making w/ Pics  (Read 9715 times)

Nick Bachtel

Hammer forging/making w/ Pics
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:02:18 PM »
I am at a halt with my percussion squirrel rifle build. I have been building my lock from scratch, and before I start experimenting with making the hammer, can anyone give me an idea of where to start? Was going to grind/forge the top of the hammer and weld that to the arm of the hammer. I have pretty minimal forging experience but otherwise I am pretty confident in my "making" skills. I do not want to start with a casting either.

It is a percussion rifle by the way.

Thanks,

Nick
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:30:10 AM by Nick Bachtel »

Offline TMerkley

Re: Hammer forging/making
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »
If you haven't watched the film "Colonial Gunsmith of Williamsburg" I suggest start there... Wallace Gusler was filmed during the making of a rifle from start to finish.  He is shown in detail with forging every piece.  You tube has it.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 03:58:07 AM »
I haven't made a percussion hammer, but if I were to, I would split the metal to form the hammer and the spur.   Once I had those roughed out, I would work on the rest of the hammer.   

Nick Bachtel

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:29:45 AM »
I figured I'd just jump right in. Used an angle grinder, dremel and the MIG welder. I also had a cast hammer I messed around with before I really thought about this build.

Started out with some 1/2" Mild steel bar.

Here it is after the welding of the Hammer head to the arm (???) Took a couple relays of weld grind weld grind, but I got er done. The flux-core Mig welding is pretty nasty and sloppy stuff.

More cutting and roughing out...

Annnnd Bob's your uncle.

Its far from perfect and I know ill clean it up more and more, but its enough progress to push me on to the next thing.

Nick

Nick Bachtel

Re: Hammer forging/making w/ Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »
I guess my priorities are all screwed up. Considering we all have a limited amount of time on this planet, it just seems a little nuts to keep reinventing the wheel, and turning shooting time into building time. A percussion lock is about as dumbed down as muzzleloading gun locks ever got, so why not buy a good quality production lock,( that you probably won't wear out in your lifetime), and spend your time shooting instead of filing?

Hungry Horse

For a couple reasons and I'm sure a few of you will find silly.

- Its not who I am. I enjoy building and making things and putting my name on it knowing that I built every little thing on that rifle or whatever I made. I want a gun I built. Not a gun pieced together just so I could go shooting. I have a .22lr for squirrels and a .45 Lancaster for Hunting/shooting.
- I'm 19 years old. When I'm long gone I want my kids, or friends or whatever to look at my things and know that I did it all myself because if I didn't do it myself then it is mediocre and I do not want to be content with meritocracy.
- Like I said, I'm 19 years old and don't have disposable income right now, so if you want to see this build run rather than waddle, feel free to donate a couple bucks to my paypal.

Sorry if I offending anyone, I just want it done my way.

Nick

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
Good on ya for doing it from scratch. You'll learn more and develop more skills. Keep us posted.
Andover, Vermont

Hemo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »
I admire your personal integrity and bravado in taking this on! Good luck--hope to hear more!

Gregg

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
For a couple reasons and I'm sure a few of you will find silly.

Not at all Nick.  I like building things just to see if I can.  BTW, welcome to ALR.  Good to have you with us.  Your hammer looks good, please keep us posted on your progress.

-Ron
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:51:38 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »
I guess my priorities are all screwed up. Considering we all have a limited amount of time on this planet, it just seems a little nuts to keep reinventing the wheel, and turning shooting time into building time. A percussion lock is about as dumbed down as muzzleloading gun locks ever got, so why not buy a good quality production lock,( that you probably won't wear out in your lifetime), and spend your time shooting instead of filing?

Hungry Horse

Horse...Why don't you spend your time filing instead of shooting other people's dreams down?

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »
I understand where you are, perfectly, Nick.  I am the same way.  I like to see if I can do something with my own hands--from making ramrod thimbles to a rifling machine and the rifling heads to a double flint shotgun.  Over the past 50 years I have invented several things only to learn later that someone had patented the same invention 100 to 200 years before.  I still have the satisfaction of coming up with the idea on my own.  Keep on truckin and you can be doubly proud of the finished product.

Offline James

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »
Good on ya for doing it from scratch. You'll learn more and develop more skills. Keep us posted.

I get it.  My 2-cents should you decide to do another- look up the blacksmithing technique called upsetting.  You would be able to forge the whole hammer from a single piece with that simple technique.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:53 PM »
That hammer looks good to me.Most 19 year old men have no ability to even think of this
project much less bring it to the point of being useful. What do you have in the way of tools
like grinders,files and saws.drill bits and power driven tools,lathe,milling machine or drill press??

Bob Roller

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 11:50:48 PM »
Go for it Nick!
When I was younger, in 1981, I made a rifle, not all by hand as you want to do, but with using only hand tools. I also made the patchbox, all the inlays, sights, muzzle cap and RR pipes, engraved everything and relief carved it. I still have the gun and still remember each and every slip of the knife and engraving tool. And not a single one of them bother me a bit!

Hang around, and you'll find most guys here are really helpful,,, and a small handful, not so much...

John
John Robbins

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »
Having spent hours filing out the square hole, I come upon the ALR, and someone says 'Hey Tom, make a tapered drift punch to size the hole.'

There are many many things to learn, and so many things to buy, and so many things to shoot, gun styles to build. Where does one even start?

Right where you are. You are going to master this, Nick. Your skills will grow with your visions for ever more complex projects. My hat's off to you for making this lock. Keep us posted.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Nick Bachtel

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »
Thank you everyone for the encouragements. Ill take a look into upsetting and using a square drift to make the hole sounds like a great idea, so thank you Acer.

Bob,

My tool list as follows

- Drill press and a hand drill
- 4 1/2" angle grinder
- Dremel tool (used a tungsten die grinder on this hammer and worked beautifully)
- 20 +/- Small and large hand files
- a fine anvil and small assortment of hammers but no forge..
- A MIG welder and a small propane torch.
- An assortment of taps, dies and drill bits. Just about everything up to 1/2"
- A strong sense of common sense and a general passion to make things.

I graduated highschool earlier this spring and worked as a mold and die repair welder for 6 months. Once I get a proper TIG welding set up I will happily offer my service to anyone who needs something welded.

Hopefully a lathe will be in the works here soon, just gotta get back to work. Anyone need some firewood cut?  :D

Nick

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 01:52:30 AM »
Having spent hours filing out the square hole, I come upon the ALR, and someone says 'Hey Tom, make a tapered drift punch to size the hole.'

There are many many things to learn, and so many things to buy, and so many things to shoot, gun styles to build. Where does one even start?

Right where you are. You are going to master this, Nick. Your skills will grow with your visions for ever more complex projects. My hat's off to you for making this lock. Keep us posted.

Several HOURS filing a square hole!? Sounds like your file was shot,
How many 19 year old youngsters can even think about such a task
much less do them? Our machine shop school here is a fine one if
computer controlled machines are your "thing".The old engine lathe
and turret lathe still has its place but nobody is teaching these old
fashioned machines as far as I know.

Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 02:43:27 AM »
Nick I am impressed with your attitude. Yes you can always by parts or someone else's gun. But It isn't the same satisfaction as doing it yourself. So go for it. You learn dang little having someone do it for you. Listen to the guru's on here there advice is awesome. I'm 65 an I learn thing's everyday on here. By the way welcome to the ALR enjoy!.....Mike

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 03:35:29 AM »
Nick,

I also like doing things the hard way.    It looks like you did a fine job using the resources at hand. 

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 04:16:26 AM »
Good for you. If you simply buy everything required for a rifle, you miss out on a lot of learning. I remember one day when my neighbour dropped by my shop while I was filing out a couple of buttplate screws .  He said " You do know that you can buy a box of those at the hardware store ? "   I said, " Yes...but not like these. "
He shook his head and left  :)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 05:37:04 AM »

- Its not who I am. I enjoy building and making things and putting my name on it knowing that I built every little thing on that rifle or whatever I made. I want a gun I built. Not a gun pieced together just so I could go shooting. I have a .22lr for squirrels and a .45 Lancaster for Hunting/shooting.
- I'm 19 years old. When I'm long gone I want my kids, or friends or whatever to look at my things and know that I did it all myself because if I didn't do it myself then it is mediocre and I do not want to be content with meritocracy.
- Like I said, I'm 19 years old and don't have disposable income right now, so if you want to see this build run rather than waddle, feel free to donate a couple bucks to my paypal.

Sorry if I offending anyone, I just want it done my way.

Nick

Welcome to ALR Nick sounds like you are in the right forum. These guys love to help when they see the person really wants to learn! Just post your questions when you want some suggestions.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 05:43:54 AM »
Nick;

Nice first hammer! You are quite correct - there is nothing like the satisfaction, and pride, of making it yourself. I urge you to continue doing and learning. As I am sure you are aware ALR is a wonderful resource, and a great place to obtain advice on any aspect of building longrifles.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. Go get'em!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 07:22:26 AM »
Right there with ya Nick, I love to making things from scratch too.  Great job!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
My hat's off to you, Nick.  Refreshing to see a young man with your ideals and perspective.  Welcome to ALR, and keep up the good work!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online yulzari

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 03:28:29 PM »
Good on you Nick. When I was 19 I could only see the possibilities in a project. Now I am old enough to only see the problems. Go for it. The worst that can happen is that you never have to say 'I wish that I had.....' Even if it doesn't end up as good as you hoped you will have learned more than any kit builder.

My advice is that, if something is not going right there is a reason. Stop, take a break and think why rather than just bashing on and never ever fear to ask for advice. It is the fool who does not ask. Equally don't act on advice unless you are convinced why it is right. Idiots give out advice more freely than wise men.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »
Nick,

The topic "Making a Gunlock" shows a step-by-step process of making a flintlock.  I have never made a percussion hammer, but the process should be very similar to the forging of the flint hammer shown in the topic.  Here is the link.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=26825.0

Jim