Author Topic: Barrel inletting?  (Read 2795 times)

shooter93

Barrel inletting?
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:48:20 AM »
When inletting a barrel about how much wood is left outside the barrel channel on each side? And on a swamped barrel I assume you "swamp" the stock too to keep this distance equal? ....A bit off topic but is there a list of shows in Pa. somewhere that deal mostly with muzzleloaders? I'd like to go to a few before I dive in. Missed the Lewisburg show but I might make Dixon's. Thanks.

omark

Re: Barrel inletting?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:46:10 AM »
i was taught to take a dull wooden pencil and just follow the sides of the barrel, or leave approximatily 1/16 of an inch. this is for straight and tapered barrels, i have yet to do a swamped, so have been wondering about them, too. intend to do swamped soon, though. cant help with pa shows, sorry.  mark  ;D

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
The stock wood should parrallel the sides of the barrel.  On a typical golden age stlye rifle gun I usually make my lower forestocks 1/8" thick and the upper portion 1/16".
DMR

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »
On a blank stock I start with a 1/8" drill bit and put it up against the barrel. Then using a pencil against the drill bit, I trace along the length of the barrel.  Then when I start shaping the forearm and the rest of the stock I do it again with a 1/16" drill bit.

Hoot AL

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:01 AM »
While handling originals, in the flesh, so to speak, is the ideal situation to learn how they are supposed to look, studying good photos is also a good way to learn. Have you looked at the photos in the library? There are lots of good, detailed  photos that illustrate the various parts of some very nice originals in the library, thanks to the efforts of nord and hurricane.