Author Topic: Boring Job  (Read 18671 times)

Offline RobertS

Re: Boring Job
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »
This has been a very interesting topic to follow and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 01:31:55 AM »
James good post. I can't get the pictures to come up. You are good on a computer, am doing something wrong. Would love to see the pictures. Have brought about eight wrought barrels back to life over the years with tools I made. Twisted and square and drills to bore bar stock, The last barrel I made was a 42 inch deeply swamped 60 cal. for a match lock smooth bore. It was swamped with large files and draw filed with 10 inch files. Hope you read this post and can help me get pictures Thanks Dick

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Guys,

I have re-installed the photos.  I don't know what happened to the original photos - gone to internet heaven?

Jim

Offline 45-110

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »
Perhaps a cast iron flywheel would be more efficient.  However, it is most certainly not of the period.

Jim:
I just re watched The gunsmith of Williamsburg movie and see that their boring machine has a iron flywheel.
Been a few years since I have been back to the shop, wondering if they been convinced it is not period correct?
best
kw

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2019, 12:06:47 AM »
Guys,

As you have noted, that old movie from Colonial Williamsburg does show an early 20th century cast iron valve wheel on the boring machine.   However, the current boring machine uses a much larger wagon wheel complete with wood spokes and an iron rim.  It appears to me that the current one may result in too high a level of momentum which may result in damage or breakage of the boring bit when the cutter gets jammed.  The current tool looks really nice, a work of art by itself.  They were correct in replacing the cast iron valve wheel machine with a more period correct machine.

Jim