Author Topic: Original rifling twist studies?  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Elnathan

Original rifling twist studies?
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:57:12 PM »
I've got a question: Has anyone done a decent study of twist rates in 18th century longrifles? I've heard over the years that the average was something around 1:48, but it would be nice to see that confirmed. Twist is one thing (of many) that isn't usually measured or at least published.

I'm a lot more interested in the effectiveness of what was normal back in the day than I am in what  the potential accuracy of the platform might be, and one of my pipe dreams for many years has been to make a rifle that is as close to the originals in these kinds of mechanical details - twist rate, crown, touch-hole size, etc. -  as I can reasonably achieve.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Original rifling twist studies?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:52:05 AM »
German (Germanic) rifles were generally one twist in the length of the barrel. That really doesn't answer your question about American rifles though.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »
I have made a rifling twist gage  which I occasionally use to check the twist rate of Kentucky double rifles for my ongoing study. It requires a reasonably good barrel, and runs a small risk of getting the special jag caught in the bore. For that reason, I rarely dare run the jag all the way to the breech where bad pitting is frequently encountered. And I don’t try it in rough barrels. My method seems to be reproducible within about 1” in a complete revolution between three consecutive runs in a good barrel, and I need to check some modern barrels with known twist rates to get an idea of accuracy. I usually run 180 deg of twist, measure the length, and double it.

My data sheets are about 4000 miles away from me now, as I am traveling. Not many 18th C barrels in my study, but I have some flint and percussion rifles and some jaegers checked. If asked, I could get data together in February.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »
I checked the twist rate of a barrel recovered from the Apalachicola River (ca. 1760-70) and it had a rate of 1 turn in 48".  It also had 7 lands and grooves, was .62 cal. and 38" in length.  I have a military (European) jaeger rifle in .58 cal. with a twist rate of 1 turn in 29", which is the barrel length and agrees with Mike.  My antique .30 cal. percussion squirrel rifle has a twist rate of 1 turn in 72" (go figure).  James Levy

James Levy

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 03:58:41 AM »
Bill,

If you would be so kind. I am sure I'm not the only person who would be interested in that data.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling