Author Topic: W&C Ogden  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
W&C Ogden
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: W&C Ogden
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
is it me or was that one built for somebody with a real long neck

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »
I've got a couple  almost identical guns by Walter & Charles Ogden of Owego, NY ( and one by their worker & successor Abe Williams). Using the "off the shoulder" firing position, they fit comfortably. Typical distance from the front trigger to center of the buttplate is  about 13 1/4 inches. but they would "customize" the stock & fittings for customer requirements.This distance is similar to some other New York State guns  that I own

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
not talking about LOP,drop seems a bit much,was always puzzled by that

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
Joe S. raises a good point...... the evolution and regional differences in the buttstock profile of flintlocks from the pre-Revolutionary period through the Golden Age is heavily documented . This trend did not stop with the coming of the percussion guns of the 1830's through the 1870's. Jacob Harder's guns from Northern Pennsylvania transitioned with the tastes of the customers of the time from classic "Roman nose" to a more conservative look. However, farther north in Western New York State the regional tastes resulted to  a more aggressive drop at the comb and a minor "perch belly" shape as on the Ogden guns. Other Western New York State and then Michigan gunmakers carried this perch belly look to the extreme. If someone will volunteer to post an explanatory photo  that I just took onto this website, I'll send one to him.....

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
I had on of these guns also!
32 cal over 14 gauge under!  Sold it to a fellow named Ogden at an Ohio Longrifle show 15 years ago!
One of them ; I wish I had it back!!!
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."