Author Topic: Whitworth rifle  (Read 2734 times)

Jonathan Snell

Whitworth rifle
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:30 PM »
Hello I'm new to this forum so not sure if I'm seeking assistance in the right place. I would like to know if any has any info on whitworth rifle, particularly related to New Zealand. I have one who I am told is about 80% good, has a bent nipple and missing the ram rod. I have been told on about 1863 they made 2 batches of 5000 with one batch going to the confederate army while the other batch went to Nz with the english. Through photo evidence know they were used  by both the Maori and English soldiers. A black powder person in Nz put it on a register in the U.K. For me and I'm told they know of only 33 in the world and 27 in Nz. It's  Beautiful, rifled hex barrel etc. if anyone can shed some light or tell me where to look for better markings to assist, suggest a value, it would help  my curiosity. Thanks in advance. Jonno

Offline heelerau

Re: Whitworth rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
 Mate I would join the Britishmilitaria forums, you will get your answers there.  Whitworths are dealt with there and I think one of the chaps actually runs the Whitworth rifle register.

Cheers

Heelerau
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
Re: Whitworth rifle
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
There are also a small handful of very fine Whitworth rifles on gunbroker.com right now, you can see what they go for to get a sense of value.
Done right is better than done fast.