Author Topic: Chamber's Oil over Permalyn  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Chamber's Oil over Permalyn
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »
Hey Guys,
   Have any of you had any experience with putting Chambers Oil on top of a permalyn sealed stock? I have a stock repair here in my shop which I know was finished with Permalyn sealer & just was wondering if the Chamber's oil will bond tightly enough to that type of modified poly-u finish. I don't want to find out that the oil finish will rub off in a year because it didn't bond to the Permalyn.
I don't have any fresh Permalyn in the shop at this time but plenty of Chamber's Oil.
(or Maybe I should just wait to get some at Chuck's this weekend)
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

RWood

Re: Chamber's Oil over Permalyn
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »
Give Barbie a call she ought to know best. If she doesn,t know her Dad will.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:24:03 AM »
Back in about '98 I put Chambers 18th Century Vanish over BLO on my walnut stocked yeager.  It is still on the stock and as hard as when it first dried.  I would think that BLO would be about the toughest finish to bond to with something else.  I could be wrong.  See you at Dixon's.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:34:51 AM »
I think this will work fine.  I've used a number of finishes over Permalyn sealer over the years without a problem.

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »
Thanks Guys,
A number of years ago I had a friend who was a chemist for a local company that produces polyurathane finishes. told me the way the Poly bond worked is that the coats of finish will bond to each other up to a certain amount of time ( usually less then 24 hours) after that the the finish would have to be scuffed up rather well with something like steel wool to give another top coat something to bond to. Now this was for straight Urathane finishes and I know Permalyn is a Poly-modified oil blend. I guess the "oil" part helps make this possible and also makes it more flexible then straight urathane.
I think I will give it a try.
Jim

"A brush of the hand

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:57:18 AM »
JW, Permalyn is a different cat. In fact within 24 hrs. a subsequent coat will dissolve the coat underneath rendering little gain in build up. Seal heavily, then wait longer than 24 hrs. before 2nd. coat. I mean, I my go thru a third of the can sealing. Back and forth. Only when it gets sticky do i stop the first coat. 90% of what goes in the stock, goes in on the first coat. Everything after that is for appearance. It seems to accept itself or Linseed oil varnishes just fine. I've been using it for 25+ yrs. Urethanes aren't really good for anything but interior applications, though they can be made very hard for floors.

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
JW, Permalyn is a different cat. In fact within 24 hrs. a subsequent coat will dissolve the coat underneath rendering little gain in build up. Seal heavily, then wait longer than 24 hrs. before 2nd. coat. I mean, I my go thru a third of the can sealing. Back and forth. Only when it gets sticky do i stop the first coat. 90% of what goes in the stock, goes in on the first coat. Everything after that is for appearance. It seems to accept itself or Linseed oil varnishes just fine. I've been using it for 25+ yrs. Urethanes aren't really good for anything but interior applications, though they can be made very hard for floors.

Thanks Bill,
I did notice I always had better results letting the Permalyn ( or other finishes, for that matter) set for 24 hrs between coats. I just never mixed finishes during applications in the past. Since this repair is on a stock that I did about 10 years ago ( pretty sure it was permalyn) it's good & set. I'm sure once it's scuffed up with steel wool in the area I should be able to blend into it no that I know it will stick to the stuff.

Jim

"A brush of the hand