Author Topic: double set trigger question  (Read 4572 times)

karwelis

double set trigger question
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:02:08 AM »
ok here it is i have a davis double set double trigger and i have never installed one of these. how do i position it in relation to the sear?

karwelis

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: double set trigger question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:20:36 AM »
Maybe someone else will have a better way but I line mine up by putting the adjustment screw right under the sear bar.  Basically with both trigger bars in the up position you want the sear bar right in the Vee the bars make.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »
Yes, the set screw is the sweet spot. One thing to remembr is that a set trigger is meant to be used "set". The double lever triger can be fired set or not but the front trigger is going to be a looong pull unset. The real advantage is that you can lower the hammer from full or half cock without setting off the lock. Moving the triggers forward gives a bit more advantage to the front trigger but it's still a clumsy pull. Moving back gives advantage to the rear set bar making it fast and certain as long as you can still release the hammer using an extremely long pull from the front.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »
Ken and Bill nailed it.  I've only used them once, but I located the sear right in the V formed by the two bars when unset.  I used them with an L&R "Classic" lock (similar to a Siler).  Without getting into differences in manufacturing, etc. The L&R had a light but crisp release and worked really well set or unset.  Firing unset was on par with a single trigger. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »
Ken and Bill nailed it.  I've only used them once, but I located the sear right in the V formed by the two bars when unset.  I used them with an L&R "Classic" lock (similar to a Siler).  Without getting into differences in manufacturing, etc. The L&R had a light but crisp release and worked really well set or unset.  Firing unset was on par with a single trigger. 
-Eric
Yes, exactly what this youngster said.  Btw Davis doubl setts are good triggers.  At least mine are.

karwelis

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:16:26 AM »
well when i ordered this gun i wanted all the best parts and thats what tip curtis gave me

karwelis

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:39:18 AM »
Roger is a shooter of long standing, so if he likes something it probably works really well. I like Davis triggers because, when properly hardened, they seem to last forever. From my standpoint, they are also amenable to customizing to make them unique. And they are comfortable on the finger.

karwelis

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:27:47 AM »
thank you all so much, i got the dixon book and the recreatin the american long rifle book, and niether say anything about placement of th double trigger.

karwelis

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:27 AM »
The current Track of the Wolf catalog has a pretty good article on set trigger installation. Order a copy and you won't regret it (other than the constant financial drain that it seems to impart).