Author Topic: PA Long rifle  (Read 3871 times)

welldigger45

PA Long rifle
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »
Inherited this this past weekend and trying to find out a little more about the builder. Side plate R. Dunlap Jr Pittsburgh PA.

upload pic

how to upload image on internet

photo hosting ebay
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:40:49 PM by welldigger45 »

Offline smokinbuck

Re: PA Long rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Welldigger,
It looks like you inherited a nice rifle but chances are better than not that Dunlap was not the builder. Gun makers typically signed their work on the top flat of the barrel. Dunlap was obviously the lock maker out of the Pittsburgh area. Perhaps someone will recognize a distinguishing feature on the rifle.
Mark
Mark

welldigger45

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »
Thanks Mark I uploaded a couple more pics, If the gunmaker initialed the barrel than I think the maker would be D *M

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
 This gun looks like it might be a late Bedford, or Somerset, county Pennsylvania longrifle. I don't recognize the initials on the barrel. As stated the signature on the lockplate are those of the lockmaker.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
Perhaps David Milliron of Putneyville PA
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Pulled my photos and there are a lot of elements including the signature that make me say with 90% certainty that it
was David Milliron's work.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

welldigger45

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »
Thank you Shreck, my great uncle was from the exact area you are talking about, I still have family out there and believe it or not my wife's sister married a L. Schrecengost from dayton pa and my Mom went to her senior prom with a C. Schrecengost in Dayton PA. But getting back to the rifle any idea what the other letters on the barrel mean I can only make out OLDS but there is at least one other letter there just can't make it out

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
Well Heck, we're practically related.  The barrel marks don't ring any bells.  I've not seen many Milliron rifles, but a few.  I think I posted pictures of another one on this
forum.   Apparently the prom didn't go that well or you might have ended up a cousin :)