Author Topic: Re:What makes a "Master Builder"  (Read 15136 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re:What makes a "Master Builder"
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
I appreciate what Jim says in his posts.Not only is he a very talented builder,he is humble about his achievements.Many others are like him on this board.My friend Taylor is likewise.Great teachers ,all!

Leather, you left out Mike Brooks.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
This thing of "Master" status is all blown out of proportion.  I have been involved in muzzleloading for nearly 40 years and
I have never heard someone referred to as a "Master, apprentice, novice, etc.".  I know of no organization within this
muzzleloading industry that could bestow that moniker to anyone.  I knew John Bivins, Jack Haugh, Monte Mandarino,
and many others who would have been deserving to have that Master status, but you would NEVER hear any of these
guys refer to themselves as a Master Gunsmith, they all had too much class and humility to do such a thing.  Around home
my guns are in demand, and everyone thinks they are great, that is because they are not familiar with the standard that
exists elsewhere.   They have never seen a Jim Kibler rifle, or one of any of the other great guns being built today.....thank goodness.  If you wish to call yourself a Master, so be it, let the light shine on you.  I think we have kicked
this thing around too long already, let it die..........Don

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »
I appreciate what Jim says in his posts.Not only is he a very talented builder,he is humble about his achievements.Many others are like him on this board.My friend Taylor is likewise.Great teachers ,all!

Leather, you left out Mike Brooks.
I didn't make my post for any special recognition, just wanted to clarify my opinion.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »
I couldn't agree more with what Mike and Don have said above.  Now I think I'll go over to the engraver's forum for a while.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 06:16:54 PM »
 Acer,
  Sorry I left out Mr.Brooks. I don't know him personally but I'd like to. Mike and Taylor are both self taught and you can't argue about their work. They wouldn't come out and tell you they are "masters" even if they are.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
I think we have kicked
this thing around too long already, let it die..........Don

I'll second that.  All in favor .........  Motion passed.  I'm going shooting.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Collector

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
So, I guess what this means is, that no one wants to discuss the nuances of what makes a

Ultimate Supreme-er-est Master Builder

?  :'(

THE END

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
Everyone wants the last word ;D Before I lock this thread as it's run it's course (and I truly be live there is no right or wrong answer) there are a couple of things I believe that need said.One of the great things about this board is that honest debate can take place.It was said that we are  passionate and like minded about longrifles here.I agree but do not believe that means we all think alike ,quite the opposite.Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought alike and liked the same things.From this debate education can take place.I don't believe that there was any malice involved in this debate over Hughs rifle or the term Master.I think everyone appreciates Hugh's talent but have different likes and dislikes.Everyone has a different view of what a "Masterpiece"is and there are no right and wrong answers.It is difficult to hold these debates on a message board as it is very impersonal and everyone has different tolerances for heated debate.Lets all keep this in mind before we hit the POST button.Debates like this will come up again,hopefully no one feeling will get hurt and we all can learn from it.

Mitch